Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo's not selling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2003, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo's not selling?

my local dealer has 5 evo's just sitting on the sit, for about a month now, no markup or anything, why are they not selling

supply met the demand?
Old Oct 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

All of us that were waiting bought ours early. The people who might have considered the Evo after seeing it on the lot were probably driven off after seeing ridiculous mark-ups. They are now probably driving 350Zs or WRXs. Also, Mitsu hasn't been real slick with their marketing. Have you seen many Evos in Import Tuner/Super Street/Turbo Mag/etc.? Usually those cars are provided by the manufacturer to raise awareness. Also, I rarely see Evo ads (either in print or on TV), and I am actually looking for them! Of course Honda did the same thing with the S2000, but they actually backed the owners on warranty claims...

My .02.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

i have yet to see ONE, Evo ad / commercial...
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

i have yet to see one evo advertised on tv or in a paper here in gainesville. not one. hence the 4 that have been sitting at the local dealer for months.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:06 PM

yeah, the local dealer down the road has 2 Evo8's...the same two have been on the lot since May, LOL!

silly thing is the dealer still has them $1500 marked up...I guess these guys have no idea that other dealers in the area have them for below msrp...
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:10 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Most of the weekend enthusiast types "less hardcore car guys" Arent taking the chance on a $30K Mitsubishi and putting up with their crap and ricer looks they picked 350Z, s2K, Z4, G35, and RX8
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

The only ads in print I've seen were back in May or June issues of all of the big mags with a "disclaimer" about how the Evo does 0-60 in 5.1 secs... (too bad they won't warranty your clutch if you do it, thought). Since then........ [SILENCE, crickets, rustling leaves]

The only TV ad I've seen was on Speed during the WRC or maybe F1 and it was about how Mitsu created a religion with the Evo. All of the footage was of rally stages. Sort of ironic in that Mitsu will void your warranty if you race. Even more ironic is that they have no WRC team this year. LMFAO.

Oh well.

Side note: I've been reading some Euro and UK Evo boards for views from another angle. It is pretty much confirmed that the Evo VIII is the final one in the state in which we recognize it. If another car is badged "Evo" in the future it will be like how Chevy badges that POS as a "Malibu" even though the REAL Malibu ('60s) was sweet. Oh well - be glad you got yours.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well...if they are anything like the dealers I saw last night. I went with my friend who offered to buy one right on the spot (5 in the showroom) at one and the dealer wouldn't go under $29,600 for EVOs with the big wing and no sunroof and 30 + miles!!!! There was NO ONE else in the showroom at the same time. By contrast, I had several offers for under $29K 2 months ago. Lower the price (at the dealer) and they'd sell more.

Also, the lack of advertizing doesn't help either.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:20 PM
In Timeout

Also the economy is not that great right now. You should see all of the P cars coming in off lease 32k for a play car is not cheep and most will keep just 1-2 cars I know when I sold my NSX I got lucky and sold it in 1 day on e-bay. People are getting canned left and right, I have a friend who buys and sells foreclosed homes and he said it's getting worse.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

The only bright spot there is that I might actually still be able to afford a house in a year or so...
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:25 PM
In Timeout

I hear that, I just bought a new home and put 20% down and got a rate of 3.65, Also they knocked 40,000 off the asking price so when I flip it when the wife finishes med school in 5 years I should have at least 50k in it. Not to bad, it's still a buyers market. Sell the car and buy a house or do both

Originally posted by Chris in HB
The only bright spot there is that I might actually still be able to afford a house in a year or so...
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know what to say.....................all of the above!!
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

The dealers are stuck with them now. All of those taxes for the past 3-4 months. Mitsu Motors is not giving them any rabates to help them sell. If they sell them now they have to take a huge hit. I bet the dealers hate the EVO!!!
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Where did you get that rate of 3.65% I would refinance for that rate. Please let me know.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:52 PM
In Timeout

Sun America, I also have a perfect credit score.

Originally posted by SAEVO
Where did you get that rate of 3.65% I would refinance for that rate. Please let me know.

Quick Reply: evo's not selling?