Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil in my intercooler piping!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in my intercooler piping!

Ok so I pulled off my intercooler to paint it gold. Yes Gold. Its the only paint i have besides black =) hey be unique right?

So theres oil in my intercooler piping and all in my intercooler. Yikes.
How is it getting in there? My guess was the stock turbo has seals that are leaking. Like O rings or something? I have seen turbo rebuild kits. Hopefully not too expensive. Will it hurt to drive it the way it is? Can i build a makeshift catch can? What all will it hurt? my exhaust is clean and my oil is still above min (though it has gotten lower in the last 2 months.)

So are plugs the only thing effected? Can U clean fouled plugs? I am past broke right now so..

Also, with my intercooler out, should driving be avoided at all costs? I figured it would be running without boost which might cause it to run realy rich, or something. Also, with no load on the turbo that sounds like a bad thing. So can i just drive at lower RPMs or should i wait till i get the turbo in?

So if i hose out the inside of my intercooler, if a small amout of water stays in it, would it be enough to hydro lock the motor or anything bad? Or should i avoid the water idea?

Sorry bout all the questions. I did lots of searching and it sounds like it must be the turbo seals. As much as i would like to upgrade the turbo, a rebuild kit would be cheaper. Is installing a rebuild kit simple? What special tools are needed??
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:30 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xearo
Ok so I pulled off my intercooler to paint it gold. Yes Gold. Its the only paint i have besides black =) hey be unique right?

So theres oil in my intercooler piping and all in my intercooler. Yikes.
How is it getting in there? My guess was the stock turbo has seals that are leaking. Like O rings or something? I have seen turbo rebuild kits. Hopefully not too expensive. Will it hurt to drive it the way it is? Can i build a makeshift catch can? What all will it hurt? my exhaust is clean and my oil is still above min (though it has gotten lower in the last 2 months.)

So are plugs the only thing effected? Can U clean fouled plugs? I am past broke right now so..

Also, with my intercooler out, should driving be avoided at all costs? I figured it would be running without boost which might cause it to run realy rich, or something. Also, with no load on the turbo that sounds like a bad thing. So can i just drive at lower RPMs or should i wait till i get the turbo in?

So if i hose out the inside of my intercooler, if a small amout of water stays in it, would it be enough to hydro lock the motor or anything bad? Or should i avoid the water idea?

Sorry bout all the questions. I did lots of searching and it sounds like it must be the turbo seals. As much as i would like to upgrade the turbo, a rebuild kit would be cheaper. Is installing a rebuild kit simple? What special tools are needed??
Oil is part of owning a turbo car. Install a catchcan. Put your intercooler back in the way it is before you drive it.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ +1 and gold on your pipes? Dude..
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

oil catch can it is then. I am going to see if i can weld one up. Never done that before but sounds like a good starting project!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ +1 and gold on your pipes? Dude..
hey man i dont have any other color. I would just go gray or silver. The IC is ugly. Somone tried to spray paint it black and didnt do it right. Now it looks like ****. It looks like it is corroded though with a closer look its nothing much more than a bad paint job worn over time.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

some oil in the intercooler is normal, you can install a catch can to alleviate the problem but its not necessary
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:44 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

oil catch can it is then. I am going to see if i can weld one up. Never done that before but sounds like a good starting project!
Wait, your going to weld a catchcan where?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

weld a can then connect it via rubber tubing and hose clamps. Maybe right in between the licp and the ic inlet? so some day wehn i replace the licp with aftermarket, everything will swap right in!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:01 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

weld a can then connect it via rubber tubing and hose clamps. Maybe right in between the licp and the ic inlet? so some day wehn i replace the licp with aftermarket, everything will swap right in!
In for pics!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Would aslo like to see pics
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:03 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Here is an example of an installation:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...catch-can.html
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

weld a thing with a hold so you can bolt it to something insted lol.!!!!
dont just weld tihs to your frame lol.!!!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

pics 2
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

DUde..i just went through the same problem...i have some pics for you.

Notice the pool of oil...SMH
Name:  oil.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  21.0 KB
Name:  oil2.jpg
Size:  21.6 KB
and this is from my UICP
Name:  oil3.jpg
Size:  19.7 KB

Flushing it with some brake cleaner will help...but make sure you have a blower and won't be driving the car for at least 23 hours...yeah one hour to do the uninstall and flushing..lol Good luck brother...

OH also check your lower pipe for oil...if it's dry than it's not your turbo...

Last edited by tchouko; Aug 12, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

dang, makes me want a catch can

Quick Reply: Oil in my intercooler piping!