Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Not your Typical AC problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not your Typical AC problem

This summer I have been having issues with my AC.

Its symptoms are similar to some of the "non-issues" I have found in my search results, but much more severe, and new.

When I turn the AC on, the the load on the engine is much more than it used to or should normally be, and I can tell the car is trying really hard to keep the idle up.

The power also drops when I am driving, enough to significantly, and very noticeably slow the car, as if I let off the gas in gear, and enough to make me lurch forward in the seat for 3 or 4 seconds before the AC shuts off, and 30 seconds later the same thing happens over again. When it is loaded, and trying to spin before it shuts off, it is blowing cool air.

Occasionally there is a clicking noise from the engine compartment in time with the drop and loss of power, like something is binding up and releasing, or the belt is popping or slipping over a stuck pulley, which is what I think it may be, but it never squeals.

Its a 2003 with 48,000 miles on it, I have driven since new, and am positive this is not the normally typical power loss or RPM drop from the AC, but don't know where to look or what to test to diagnose the problem.

I am assuming its either the clutch or the compressor, but since AC repairs are costly, I would like to determine if it could possible be a simple fix, or should I just live with out the AC.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you guys might be able to provide me with.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:57 AM

Also,

as atypical as you might expect, the car is COMPLETELY stock.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

dam that sucks bro!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:36 AM

Which?

Broken AC

or a stock EVO?..........
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:44 AM

I guess I'm not really sure if it can happen to an AC pump or not, but it might be broke, or turning too hard, kind of like what can happen to an alternator. I know I've had, on other cars, alternators go bad and then turn very hard which has given similar symptoms. Not sure how you'd check it really, but that's my guess anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:05 AM

Makes sense, I also know there a electronic clutch on it to engage and disengage the compressor, which is much cheaper than replacing the compressor.

If its the compressor, I might just live without it, since they are pretty pricey and difficult to replace.

I'm hoping there's a possibility that it is something else.

thanks for the feedback
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:28 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

This is tough to say. However, I started a thread a while back with AC issues. Turns out my problems take place when disconnecting the battery. The solution to this problem is to let the car idle with the AC on for a long period of time (don't touch gas pedal). I doubt this is your problem but I would give it a shot.

My car also seemed to load the engine really bad to the point where it would actually stall out when the clutch pedal is pressed.

Just incase this does not work, I would suggest looking in the for sale section on evom and finding a used AC setup. Many people sell their AC units for weight reduction. You can pick them up for cheap.

Hope this helps,
Jared Dyer
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:02 PM

Good thought on buying used

thanks