Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX Test Drive and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX Test Drive and Questions

I drove a IX SE the other day at a dealer that knew literally nothing about it at all. It had a few issues and I was hoping someone could chime in. This is what I know it was running:

- Test pipe and generic massive 3"can. I couldnt find a brand marking on it and it was freakin LOUD
- drilled rotors. S
- evidence of removed guages, some wiring hanging down in the foot well.

PROBLEMS
- some kind of aftermarket clutch. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but it was very heavy in first, had to give it a decent amount of RPM's to get it to move. I also drove a VIII the same day and it was light as a feather so it is not me. I sorta liked it. It would suck in traffic though. Is that typical of an aftermarket race clutch???
- shift linkage was very stiff and would not self center. This made upshifting dangerous since I always risked an over rev by hitting first instead of third. Bad aftermarket bushing install??? Thoughts??? Again not me, the VIII was smooth as butter.
- cut outs over 5.5K rpms. Felt like a fuel cutoff almost. I'm figuring the previous owner took off a bunch of supporting mods (maybe an airbox?) and left an aggressive tune. The car pulled like mad before it stutters in the upper range. Thoughts??? AFR problems?

Bottom line I really like the car, but I want it sorted out prior to purchase, especially if it is knocking all over the place because of timing and AFR. Any input would be great.

- Gear shifter
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I drove a IX SE the other day at a dealer that knew literally nothing about it at all. It had a few issues and I was hoping someone could chime in. This is what I know it was running:

- Test pipe and generic massive 3"can. I couldnt find a brand marking on it and it was freakin LOUD
- drilled rotors. S
- evidence of removed guages, some wiring hanging down in the foot well.

PROBLEMS
- some kind of aftermarket clutch. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but it was very heavy in first, had to give it a decent amount of RPM's to get it to move. I also drove a VIII the same day and it was light as a feather so it is not me. I sorta liked it. It would suck in traffic though. Is that typical of an aftermarket race clutch???
- shift linkage was very stiff and would not self center. This made upshifting dangerous since I always risked an over rev by hitting first instead of third. Bad aftermarket bushing install??? Thoughts??? Again not me, the VIII was smooth as butter.
- cut outs over 5.5K rpms. Felt like a fuel cutoff almost. I'm figuring the previous owner took off a bunch of supporting mods (maybe an airbox?) and left an aggressive tune. The car pulled like mad before it stutters in the upper range. Thoughts??? AFR problems?

Bottom line I really like the car, but I want it sorted out prior to purchase, especially if it is knocking all over the place because of timing and AFR. Any input would be great.

- Gear shifter
The clutch issue im not so sure about. but it seems like the car was more modded before and when whoever sold it they just took a lot of parts of and flashed back to a somewhat stock tune. so it could be hitting a factory boost cut.

-The exhaust is prob ebay - nothing really wrong with this.

-The stiff shifting linkage is most likely bad rubber bushings. Maybe he had solid ones in there and then replaced the old one when it was sold.

-Id look a little closer at this car and make sure it isnt completly molested.

Good luck!
Evolving Member

My car use to cut out at 5000 to 5500 rpms, because the throttle body seals were bad! So my first guess on the cutout would be a big boost leak somewhere..
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by t-revzr
my car use to cut out at 5000 to 5500 rpms, because the throttle body seals were bad! So my first guess on the cutout would be a big boost leak somewhere..
+1
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 99.9% sure the 9 was nodded it was a big torque pressure plate most likey. I would go for either. Most would pick the 9 for looks. Cams would make the engines no differnce. But a retune would ddo the 9 some justice, make sure previous owner didn't mess up the tranny too bad. Gl pal
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are other evos out there. It's a mistake to get attached to a used car that needs tlc. There's always a nicer car for a better deal right around the corner. I would consider buying a car off someone from this message board. The majority of these guys are nuts about their cars and keep them in really good shape.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rongdoer
there are other evos out there. It's a mistake to get attached to a used car that needs tlc. There's always a nicer car for a better deal right around the corner. I would consider buying a car off someone from this message board. The majority of these guys are nuts about their cars and keep them in really good shape.
This
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:44 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd walk away from this car.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Less for looks than the "to die for" seats. The VIII had SSL and besides the pointless weight penalty on the roof the leather doesnt grip. The IX SE seats were just gravy. I have driven a friends VIII in the past without SSL and the blue fabric doesnt hold as well as this IX SE with the suede. The IX SE seats were just amazing.

Funny I sat in an 06 STi for about 20 seconds that day as well. The seats are complete and utter crap. No redeeming value whatsoever.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF

What if they let me take it to DentSport for a day for an overhaul? I agree about the board though.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rongdoer
There are other evos out there. It's a mistake to get attached to a used car that needs tlc. There's always a nicer car for a better deal right around the corner. I would consider buying a car off someone from this message board. The majority of these guys are nuts about their cars and keep them in really good shape.
^+1

There are plenty of cars out there. Dont buy someone elses problems.. think about it, if he turned in the car in this shape--apparently he didn't are what anyone else thought and it shows how much he didn't care for it.. Find someone who gave a damn.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
What if they let me take it to DentSport for a day for an overhaul? I agree about the board though.
Even then, the odds are you'll have even bigger problems down the road. Whoever owned this car didn't treat it well. It's common to see Evos traded-in after the owner screws up the car. You don't want to be the one who buys it.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Where is this car around Boston? I want to know so I don't bother looking at it.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Just say no. Unless you're getting the deal of the century, it's not worth it.

l8r)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
+1 i'm sure you can find a better condition evo out there, don't get too attached!

Quick Reply: Evo IX Test Drive and Questions