Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ate a curb...bad

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ate a curb...bad

I would share the whole story but it is still painful for me to think of the day when i had extremely dumbass driver moment... sigh.... you live and you learn i suppose

long story short, when i was making left turn my Evo ate a curb pretty hard... hard enough to crack the hell out of R front and R rear wheel

i was wondering if anyone could help me out with what could have gone wrong... and possible estimate for repair

after temprarily replacing the wheels and tires I noticed some bumpy vibrations from front right side @ lower speed, some random noises that I didn't hear before, steering wheel has to be turned to wayyy left to drive the car straight and car isn't as responsive from steering wheel input

i'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, and ideas

thank you
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you hit something hard enough to crack stock rims you most likely bent a control arm or tie rod...best thing to do is take to a shop that has someone good at aligning (Like a shop that does corner weight balancing)....if they have a good understanding of suspension they should be able to tell you whats wrong
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

after replacing everything damaged, make sure your frame is straight and get an alignment.

a friend of mine hopped a curb and chipped only 1 wheel and thought everything was fine. it drove perfect until a year later when he made around 600whp and noticed that the frame was slightly bent and the car always pulled to one side under WOT.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

My gc8 was totaled by hitting curb.. the fr side was gone, also caused the front corner roof to kink, by door. So affected the frame i would say. I wanted to keep it, but, coulndnt be happier with evo. Op, make sure you check everything, and GL.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAHAHA welcome to the club son!

POST PICS
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by NsinEvo8
My gc8 was totaled by hitting curb.. the fr side was gone, also caused the front corner roof to kink, by door. So affected the frame i would say. I wanted to keep it, but, coulndnt be happier with evo. Op, make sure you check everything, and GL.
Jesus totaling your car by means of hitting a curb, do you mean that curb was a jersey barrier??

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
HAHAHA welcome to the club son!

POST PICS
pics or bs!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

man im staying away from anything over 2 inches high
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MADBISH
Jesus totaling your car by means of hitting a curb, do you mean that curb was a jersey barrier??
No, the regular 6" curbs will do it. Just imagine a 3100+ ibs object abruptly hitting something that will pretty much instantly stop the it. That's A LOT of energy to instantly stop. The wheels, then the control arms, axles, then the chassis absorbs that energy.

I'm sure the drivetrain doesn't like the impact either.

Last edited by AndyD; Sep 7, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MADBISH
little kink in the frame and consider itself done...especially on a car that's worth less than $25k.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

CheCk For Further DamaGe...
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Dude that sucks, i bapped a curb a few years ago, my fault for not replacing my bald tires and trying to take a turn in the rain (dumb me). I ended up having to replace my whole rear end, suspension, hub assembley, everyting, But i had my insurance take care of it so i just payed the deductable.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

i want to know what you mean by asking us who cant even see anything and were not there if we know what went wrong??
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:31 PM

Thank you all for the posts... I'm going to get it checked out and repair it once I save up some money. I'm thinking about just taking it to the dealership because most of the shops I saw was pretty shady and extremely greedy being in military town...

I'd take pictures but there is no visible damage other then cracked outer edges of rims and scratch on right side of front fender. The car is at my buddy's house right now and going to look for more damages tomorrow.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a plan, but the dealers gonna rape you. Are you going to call your insurance company and file a claim? Oh and post some pics if you get a chance.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That sucks man...lets see...if you cracked/bent the front rim then upper and lower control arms could be messed up and also the shock...if you cracked/bent the back rim there back be a # of things messed up...upper & lower control arms, trailing arm, assist link, shock...plus on both the front and rear you need to look where the upper control arms bolt to the car...that part of the car could have been pushed in or pulled out by the control arms...I have a rear lower control arm for sale if you need 1...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...condition.html