Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Parking the Evo for the Winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weezy03
No kidding when It snows my garage queen comes out to play for sure!
for real dude it has awd for a reason. use it
Old Sep 9, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I would make sure you run a few tanks of E0 gasoline through it prior to storage. Ethanol is very harmful to rubber fuel lines and seals when left for a period of time. Even 10% or 15% can be very costly to repair. Hence why our farm-subsidy based government still cant force ethanol blends for motorboats.

If you wont be actually rolling the chassis around a few miles a month then I would research fuel stabalizers and a battery minder to trickly the battery.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRECKLESS96
for real dude it has awd for a reason. use it
What if your other "snow car" is a Subaru, that you don't give a crap if it gets all gnarly in the winter ?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Screw it, why not use BOTH? LOL.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:28 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not the snow; it's the salt. Some folks want to keep the cars for a long time.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Letting an Evo sit the winter, is like letting a convertable sit the summer!!!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Storing

Originally Posted by GaBe511
Letting an Evo sit the winter, is like letting a convertable sit the summer!!!
Amen to that. The Evo is way too much fun in the winter. I enjoy the AWD on the snowy days. I didn't pay $25k to let my car sit in the garage. I want to enjoy it before my life is over.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by casper3043
you guys are nuts...storing an awd car for the winter is banana's!!!!!
i have an audi a3 quattro so the evo can hibernate
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by igo4bmx
i have an audi a3 quattro so the evo can hibernate
Arg, how dare you keep a rally derived car in the garage during snow! But hey, A3s are sweet too.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:33 PM

not sure im going to store here in tennessee. We have had 1 snow day a year for as long as i can remember...given we got 16inches in a night last year. our town shutdown and we have over 100k ppl. town shuts down for 4inches too so that aint saying much. We got the F250 out last year when it snowed.
Bullydog will make ur diesel leave a black snow trail on the road as long as ur foot is in it lol
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:38 PM

If you can find covered parking, do it.

Have you thought about a car cover?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:46 PM

I wouldn't start the car much at all during storage. Unless you run the engine for 20 minutes or so or even drive the car if possible. The reason is the moisture build up in the engine will turn the oil a chocolate brown if all that happens during the winter is start if for 5 minutes and shut if off. Plus the energy it takes to start the car will not be charged back into the battery in that 5 minute period of time. So with that in mind, starting it up is ok in my opinion, just let it run, or better yet drive it if the roads are nice. 35 degree cold weather, turbo, intercooler, and a good road you'll be loving that. So will your engine.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:07 AM

like someone else said, id grab a battery charger/maintainer...they have one for 20 bucks at walmart. Just hook your battery up to it and it will charge it if it needs it, otherwise it just keeps the battery from discharging(and it wont overcharge it)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Since only a handfull can actually answer a question rather then voice your disapproval and superior opinion, i'll try and chime in. I have a dedicated tarmac race evo, so it's low to the ground, has rubber on all sets that are anti cold weather, no interrior, heater, or insulation, and a fire system that will explode if it gets too cold. Heated garage aside, couple of things mentioned already you can do. Fuel stabil' will deff help, try and add it into a few gallons of sunoco race fuel, the 94 octane type or what have you as these fuels don't have E anything in them. But if you cannot, Stabil makes a "marine formula" ethanol product that has tons more anti-water and corrosion protection that would work well. If it's outside and you can't get electric to it for a tender, then i'd take the battery completely out and put it inside. This will also protect your electrics from shorting out if something chewed through a wire.

As far as the rest goes, the goal would be to seal off everything so nothing can make a home where it shouldn't. Everything from your exhaust/dump to any open vac or vent lines to the intake. Any soft filters try and replace with a fine metal mesh or PVC or alum cap. Car cover a must. Mothballs are good too as already mentioned. Those f**kers will find all sorts of impossible ways to get out of the cold. Storing the tires is preferable, but if you have some kind of "no jackstand cars allowed" housing clause, then wood and some of those hard rubber "tire saver mats" that a lot of Porsche/Ferarri guys use would work well.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with Balrok if your asking you have your reasons. Make sure you put your battery on a piece of wood and not directly on the ground. Also Griot's Garage sells tire savers if you can't use jackstands.

Quick Reply: Parking the Evo for the Winter