Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So yeah ... this happened while driving home yesterday ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope the dealer will work with me, but I assume they will just say a rock hit it. Who knows. I'm dropping it off with them this afternoon around 4:30 or 5:00 and should know something in the morning ... I hope.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your awsomeness is just so awesome your window just exploded cause it couldnt hold in all the awesome..

But for real thats awful strange
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

this happened to a friend of mine, we just assumed it was his ego

that would have scared the living **** out of me. hope it gets all fixed up for ya.

bren
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Wow i have been working on cars for some time and never heard of that happening; i have had the tabs break off the bottom of the glass causing the glass to fall into the door and shatter. but WOW thats nuts, Where you putting your window up or down at the time it shattered? If it was jammed and your were trying to put it up the pressure could have done it but most likely it would have burned the window motor first or bent the regulator. Please keep us informed
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

The window was working fine about 45 minutes before. I left work and cracked all 4 to cool the car off, then closed them all and turned on the AC. I made one stop and then got back on the road with the windows still up. It shattered about 30 minutes after that. I was not attempting to adjust it at all ... I was just driving. Who knows ... really weird.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

how was the heat.. heat also plays a factor in windshield or windows shattering like that..
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Exterior temp was likely mid to high 70's and very humid with a light drizzle. AC was on in the car with the temp set to just left of the middle ... slightly cooler than room temp. I don't know if recirc was on or not.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe your car threw off one of its fireballs and it traveled all the way around the world and came back and broke your own window!.....Maybe?!

Glad you are ok....that looks like it really sucked.

Maybe instead of a new window you should just get one of those NASCAR window nets.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

that is bonkers... lol.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
While a pellet gun would be entirely possible, this happened on a nice sized highway in a commercial area ... businesses on either side of the road. The likelihood of a random person with a pellet gun is slim.
Could've been a rock kicked up by a passing car. I had a rock fly in my back passenger window, hit the head rest of the back seat, and bounce up and hit the back glass. Good thing my son wasn't in the car at the time.

When I found the rock, you could see markings on one side of it as if something pinched (like a tire) it and it shot out. I too was on a highway with a wall on one side and some buildings on the other. Luckily my window was down and my rear didn't get busted out.

Glad your alright though.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How exactly is there so much glass exactly where you were sitting if this happened while driving?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

working for Honda in parts, ive actually have had multiple people calling saying that their side windows just shattered out of nowhere (no clue why). A couple came in for repair...unfortunately without proof of a failing part/problem we could not warranty the repair.

Maybe in your case you'll get lucky!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
How exactly is there so much glass exactly where you were sitting if this happened while driving?

It's all on the left side of the seat as you can see. That slid down off the side of my leg and from the seat bolster I'd guess. When I stood up it flattened out a bit since my leg wasn't holding it up in to a pile anymore. I'm not sure why so much is at the back of the seat ... maybe it slid back there while I drove to park?

I took those pics after parking and getting out of the car. I had my DSLR in the car with me.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Sep 16, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by halfnhalf83
working for Honda in parts, ive actually have had multiple people calling saying that their side windows just shattered out of nowhere (no clue why). A couple came in for repair...unfortunately without proof of a failing part/problem we could not warranty the repair.

Maybe in your case you'll get lucky!
That's kind of what I'm thinking will happen, but it's worth a shot. I just hope it's not denied and then I'm charged for them looking in to it.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats why i like tint when your glass goes boom it doesnt get everywhere.....this is a first for me....i think they are going to think you are lying.....leave it up to your insurance or pay for it out of your pocket.....if they do fix it at the dealer then you are a lucky man.

Last edited by chin0; Sep 16, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: So yeah ... this happened while driving home yesterday ...