Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So I'm taking the EVO on one of 2 of its long trips tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I'm taking the EVO on one of 2 of its long trips tomorrow

I'll drive it to Canada at some point in the next few years but tomorrow I'll be driving to Florida. Taking the kiddies to Disney, Seaworld and Universal studios. Just got a new alternator on the car (old one had a bolt back out...rub against the idler pulley until the head of the bolt was almost completely grinded off...warped the puller on the stock alternator......Tune is good...brake pads good....got oil changed a few weeks ago...I have an oil change scheduled for when I come back.

Any advice (might put the silencer back in my Greddy).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always have tools handy!!!

I wont go on any trips in the Evo period. lol

But, if I had to, I would surely bring tools.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Ive driven my EVO from NJ to NC a couple times 12hr ride each way. No issues. Just bring what ever tool of choice tightens your hose clamps in case you pop an IC pipe

120k I wouldn't think twice about driving my car to Cali and back
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you have most of the maintenance stuff taken care of, so you should be good to go. Also make sure your tires are in good shape, and that all around tire pressure is at the proper level. If you run low tire pressure in general, perhaps bump it up to 37-40psi for better fuel economy. And, as some others have mentioned, carry a few tools in the trunk just in case.

Other than that, make sure you have some decent music and entertainment for the kids. And hopefully you don't miss having cruise control; the few times I have taken the Evo on longer trips, I certainly have.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

wax the crap out of your front end...that way less chance of bugs permanently ruining your car or worse rock chips...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

ive gone from orlando to wisconsin.. no problems car loved every second of it.... also went from north carolina to wisconsin.... and the car was solid as hell.. i wouldnt sweat it with the maintenance you have done..... enjoy the drive and be safe...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Damn that I'm driving my evo to VA and putting it on the auto train.....if you speed take it easy. VA, NC, and SC the troopers don't play games at all
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

You on E85? May wanna plot appropriate fueling stations
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

You are only going from Georgia to Florida so just ensure you have enough snacks for the kiddos and stuff to occupy them. Whenever you decide to drive to Canada then you need to worry about other stuff.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:40 AM

Me and the wifey drove from MD to Texas in the Evo only stopping for gas and food breaks. It was about thirty hours or so. Car ran like a top the whole trip. You should have no problems.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

tape, tools, road side assistance, check out British Colombia if you are going to Canada it is beautiful!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:00 PM

What a great scenario, Disney World, Sea World and The Evo Normally I dread the flight out and back on vacation. Driving there in my MR would be a dream that my wife will not agree to. Sounds like a ton of fun. Good luck. Rick
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

http://costtodrive.com is pretty great for planning trip costs, route, and stopping points for gas. Atlanta to Orlando: $47.33 Remember to check your tire pressure!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

I like to test the coolant before a long trip. Watter Wetter is your friend.

And of course the sage advice of bringing whatever tools allow you to tighten intercooler hoses!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol did you install the cf plate i made you and jdm rear??? where is my review lol. Anyways back on topic Why and this is a question for all are most people so darn concerned with driving the evo out of state. I can see being on e85 that would be dumb but on 93 its just another car guezzz i drove my evo from philly to LA 23 hours and thats when i bought it with bad rear o2 sensor 87oct exhaust leak(cat) Cracked header with boost leak and i am assuming now a messed up tune. The evo drove like a champ the whole way down only stopped in georgia for the night in alanta