Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problems with car, not starting.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with car, not starting.

One day I started noticing it was having some trouble starting. Sometimes it starts perfect the first time and quick, sometimes lately it has been acting like it has no juice and finally after a second starts. Just now I drove home and when I went to leave and tried to start the car it just makes its wining noise and then it started to smoke from under the hood! It will not start at all! I dont know anything about this and am looking for some advice on what the problem might be.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Does it sound as if the starter is going out? Maybe try to push start it. My starter was acting up and it finally went out. What is the smoking coming from?

Last edited by garcias2k; Sep 24, 2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

it kinda sounds that way. cant tell what the smoking is coming from but its starts that kind of whining noise when i turn the key like normal but never starts if that makes sense. ill try in the morning to push start. thanks
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck, the first time it happened, I had to remove the starter. When I did, there was a washer or something from the starter that came off and got wedged between the flywheel and starter teeth. But anyway, in the long run I had a bad solenoid.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

how much did the starter run u in cost?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

I bought mine used from someone local for $80 but you can buy one brand new from Auto Zone for $120 plus the 40 core and a few days wait.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

sounds great. thanks much.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I had something similar with mine minus the smoke. car sometimes wouldn't start but I could hear the starter turning (engine didn't turn over). throwing it in and out of gear a couple times or letting it roll forward a bit while 1st was engaged was enough to get the starter solenoid to move and I could start it.

anyways, once I got time I pulled the starter and found the 2 screws that hold the solenoid to the starter motor were loose and backing out. got some locktite and some lock washers, put it back together and no problems since.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

Have you even crawled under there and looked at the starter? Have you popped the hood to see where the smoking is coming from?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

its not smoking anymore and it was only smoking when i turned the key so i couldnt check where it was coming from. im trying to get my hands on a jack and stands so i can get under it. i might have to order them. we dont have a parts store here that sells them sadly. hmm interesting grahamab, maybe similiar to my problem. ill see. thanks
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaredh
its not smoking anymore and it was only smoking when i turned the key so i couldnt check where it was coming from. im trying to get my hands on a jack and stands so i can get under it. i might have to order them. we dont have a parts store here that sells them sadly. hmm interesting grahamab, maybe similiar to my problem. ill see. thanks
Where in Texas are you ?
If you can't figure it out there is a great shop in San Antonio that can fix it for you .
Its Jms Racing , they specialize in Evo's !

Also just go to your local parts store for a Jack and stands . Sears , Autozone , Advance Napa Ect .

Good luck !!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

a tiny town called hamilton where there are few auto stores and they dont have **** here. it sucks.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:50 PM

I had a similar problem. First I checked the battery, the fuse, everything checked out good. And the starting issue was random too. I ended up changing my starter twice in 4 years. If you need the part # its M128202D
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

I had a problem like that but it was not the starter. I had a bad fuel relay that stops the car from starting..
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:06 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also have something to check. Oddly enough I have seen an EVO with a starter power wire so corroded that it basically fell apart when removed from the starter. Seen this on a Harley too FYI.

This happens because of small shorts on exhaust pipes, heat shields, etc. I believe galvanic corrosion would be the proper term but no guarantees there! Smoke may indicate this shorting event is happening to you.