Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problem with 4WStuning, need a different tuner.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with 4WStuning, need a different tuner.

Here is a little backstory on my situation. My brother has en evo 8 that just went through an engine rebuild. Whenever he was ready to be tuned on the new engine, he went to Tamer from 4wstuning. During the tune my brother's car spun a rod bearing. Now, its not Tamer's fault that my brother's car blew up.

Now, I wanted my car tuned by Tamer. My brother did not pay Tamer for the tune after his engine blew up. Tamer will not tune my car until my brother pays. I even offered to pay Tamer BEFORE he does the tuning. He is being extremely unprofessional. I do not communicate with my brother much, I do not see him daily. So, why is it my responsibility to force my brother to pay for the tune?

All in all, he told me last night he would be available to tune. Then this morning he says he is not, and will not until my brother pays. Does anyone know of another Tuner I can take my business to?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about your situation man but I wouldn't say Tamer is unprofessional. He's got a life besides tuning our cars too. Tamer's a great guy and knows what he's doing. Sometimes he's extremely busy especially with all the cars he has to tune. GL
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
what did we learn from this...don't make known associations with family members that don't pay their bills

I can see your point but if I was 4WS and your brother never paid me for my work I'd be a little hot about it too.

solution: mellon tuning
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the referral, let me know if I can help Void.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Silly thread.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:09 PM

AWDmotorsports is taking care of me. Its going well so far.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to hear, Mike will get ya fixed up
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
if you pick a faulty plot of land for the constructionist to build on are you not gonna pay the constructionist after he's done because the land sinks? Nothing against you though, why's your bro not paying him?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
if you pick a faulty plot of land for the constructionist to build on are you not gonna pay the constructionist after he's done because the land sinks? Nothing against you though, why's your bro not paying him?
nah, you would sue the people who came to do the soil sample and said it was ok to build on.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I can see where he is coming from. We obviously don't know both sides of the story either. Not calling you a liar but there could be more to the story. Even though your bros car blew up getting tuned doesn't mean it's the tuners fault. He still should have paid for his time.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:56 PM

I agree, the issue was that he wouldnt tune me because of something someone else did. It just sucks that im related to a deadbeat. Whatever, AWDmotorsports did a great job. Its running much better.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

I can some what relate to this.

When my brother's Supra started messing up he brought it into a certain shop around here to be checked out. It was running rough. Sounded like it was only running on 5 cylinders. The guy told me they would check it out and it should only cost like $80 for an hour or so to look it over. We were pretty sure it was a problem with one of the valves.

Well after they had it 2 weeks and did almost nothing with it (they replaced the ECU, but my brother payed for the ECU. And swapping ECU's takes like 10 minutes.) they said it was ready to be picked up and it sounded way better....and the bill was $500!!

Well not only did the car sound MUCH worse than before the bill jumped up to $750. No explanation why, it was just $750 now.

After some *****ing they agreed to do $500 (gee thanks) and give us the car. Since they also had my Evo (which they did no work with) they just added it all to my bill!!

Moral of the story is sometimes you get busted when you're a known family member of someone else getting work done. My brother wasn't wrong for wanting to know what he was paying for. But I still had to pay in the end.

In case any one is curious one of the shims was apparently messed up and causing the valve to not operate correctly. So short of replacing that or building the head (which we did at a different shop) there is nothing the shop could have done to correct the issue. So I wonder what we were charged for??
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

In my opinion, and mind you this doesn't apply to all shops, the list of shadyest car businesses goes like this:

1) Body shops
2) Car dealerships
3) Auto repair/ peformance shops
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
this thread has run it's course...op has found another tuner

closed...