Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cracked Intercooler Hinge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Intercooler Hinge

I have an ETS front mount on my evo 9 and the other day i walked out into my driveway and noticed it sitting comfortably about an inch above the ground. It has only one hinge to bolt it onto the frame and it seems like a vibration crack split it right from the top of the intercooler and the bolted hinge, which still sits bolted in perfectly. Should i reweld the hing to the top of the intercooler and call it a fluke? please
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I would check with ETS and see if its a common problem, maybe they will replace it. but it sounds like you can just weld it and call it a day, maybe even put a rubber like washer inbetween the FMIC and the frame so it keeps vibrations to a minimal.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a crap weld and a manufacturer's defect. I'd try and get it replaced under warranty if you still can. What if the endtanks have the same crap welding job? I've had my FMIC secured by 1 bolt on my DSM for 70k miles, and who knows how long the PO had it on there, with no cracking.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:55 AM

Well ETS wont replace it. I do like the washer idea though its a possible, i'll do a little more research on if its a recurring problem or not with other people before I just reweld and let it happen again.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Did you just use the top bracket? Mine broke off also, but it's becuase I only had the top bracket bolted up. I guess I was too excited installing it and moved to quickly. When I fixed it, I bolted in both of the side brackets and now it's very sturdy.

Mine has 2 side brackets though. Are you saying yours only has one?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SoflaEvo9
I have an ETS front mount on my evo 9 and the other day i walked out into my driveway and noticed it sitting comfortably about an inch above the ground. It has only one hinge to bolt it onto the frame and it seems like a vibration crack split it right from the top of the intercooler and the bolted hinge, which still sits bolted in perfectly. Should i reweld the hing to the top of the intercooler and call it a fluke? please
I don't recall this problem. Could you give me a call at 360-263-3748. The intercooler is supported by 3 brackets. 1 on top, 2 on the left and right side. I would really like to hear about what's going on.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how long has it been installed ? sounds like a weld defect...post some pics.....
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The OP still hasn't responded, so i'm not sure what's going on, if it's our intercooler or what. Please contact me when possible.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sk8terdude929
I would check with ETS and see if its a common problem, maybe they will replace it. but it sounds like you can just weld it and call it a day, maybe even put a rubber like washer inbetween the FMIC and the frame so it keeps vibrations to a minimal.
there are rubber dampers mounted for the fmic stock. If they are missing then vibrations could cause fractures like that. There is a reason mitsu put them on there.