Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trouble getting crank sprocket off.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trouble getting crank sprocket off.

alright guys so my crank pulley broke off (the bolts broke off into the sprocket.). i bought a new pulley and sprocket and im currently trying to get this one off. YES I took off the crank bolt (im not stupid lol). but it seems to be stuck on there. i have taken it off before but this time i cant seem to get it to come loose.

i've hit with the hammer, used pry bars on it, tryed to pry from behind the crank plante and nothing will work. does anyone have any ideas??????..

thx

- shane
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by draconx
alright guys so my crank pulley broke off (the bolts broke off into the sprocket.). i bought a new pulley and sprocket and im currently trying to get this one off. YES I took off the crank bolt (im not stupid lol). but it seems to be stuck on there. i have taken it off before but this time i cant seem to get it to come loose.

i've hit with the hammer, used pry bars on it, tryed to pry from behind the crank plante and nothing will work. does anyone have any ideas??????..

thx

- shane
If i remember right the sprocket has a bunch of unused drilled holes right? I think just tapping a couple and then using a harmonic balancer puller could work.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

did you not read my message?.. i said the bolts are broken off.. :0/. its very annoying and i dunno wtf to do now.. gonna try tow ork on it more tomrrow so we'll see how it goes.

anyway else?..
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

did you not read my message?.. i said the bolts are broken off.. :0/. its very annoying and i dunno wtf to do now.. gonna try tow ork on it more tomrrow so we'll see how it goes.

anyway else?..
What you want me to do draw you a picture? if you have the pulley broken but attached use a gear puller if the pulley isn't attached use a tap and make yourself a mount to pull it out with a harmonic balancer puller.

See all the holes?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
What you want me to do draw you a picture? if you have the pulley broken but attached use a gear puller if the pulley isn't attached use a tap and make yourself a mount to pull it out with a harmonic balancer puller.

See all the holes?
i cant. the holes where the bolts are have broken bolts in them. theres no way to attach a puller at all .
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

i cant. the holes where the bolts are have broken bolts in them. theres no way to attach a puller at all .
I don't mean those 4 i mean making the others usable you see?

A tap of some size has to fit in there and a couple bolts you should be good to go!

EDIT:

BTW if all else fails grab yourself a high speed grinder since your replacing that pulley anyways and grind out a notch to use with a gear puller. Use the crank bolt to spin the pulley around as you work.

Last edited by RoadSpike; Oct 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
I don't mean those 4 i mean making the others usable you see?

A tap of some size has to fit in there and a couple bolts you should be good to go!

EDIT:

BTW if all else fails grab yourself a high speed grinder since your replacing that pulley anyways and grind out a notch to use with a gear puller. Use the crank bolt to spin the pulley around as you work.
yea i tried that and the ****in tap broke lol. (i think its too stong of material.. or the tap was in crooked. ill try again tomrrow i guess)
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

yea i tried that and the ****in tap broke lol. (i think its too stong of material.. or the tap was in crooked. ill try again tomrrow i guess)
Well that does suck i hate breaking taps. Perhaps try a slightly smaller one or maybe a different size like metric or SAE taps.

Good luck its sounding you you may be out there with a grinder unless someone has a better idea
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Usually, when a bolt is broken and the remaining threaded stub is still in the hole, since all tension is gone, the broken end is easy to remove. Try using a probe with a sharp pointed end to back the stub out. Once out a thread or two unscrew it with your hand.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you hit it real good with pb blaster and heat the surrounding area well to expand it..... then use a tap....
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

My advice is this...... As said above, use some PB Blaster and let it really soakl for a few hours. Take an easy out kit and remove what's left of the screws. You will drill in to them a bit and the easy out bit in reverse will grab on to the screw remnants and take it out. I bought a used EVO block one time. Half of the oil pan head bolts were broken off and even one in the water pump. The easy out pulled out all of them. Sears has a nice little Crafstman set that isn't too much. GL.