Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Front crashbeam becomes useless on lowered evos?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by aschold
I haven't taken mine off of my evo, but in my previous cars, I've noticed no difference when removing them.

Then again, that's also what a Cusco front power brace is for.

IMO......There are certain items that can be removed & to the average sports driver, you would never notice the difference.........It would be interesting to mount a dial indicator in that plane & record the amount of movement.

If you liken the EVO body to a fully enclosed box & remove the front panel ("Crash Beam") I believe the body will lose some of its rigidity........What do I know?.........Just my thought........Peace
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does the cusco power brace bolt on to exactly? I always thought the bottom bolted to the crash beam? Its hard to tell from the pics.
hmm, cant our fmic be used as a 5mph bumper?...lol. j/k
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neonglh
, but you are also still safer to keep your car in your garage if you don't want to damage it

--mark
Maybe, maybe not.

Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How could insurance prove that you removed it? Im sure it varies heavily state to state. In GA we have the right to repair our own cars
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

When they send out a Claims Adjusters/Appraisers/Examiners/Investigators post accident and notice that there is no crash beam? I know of plenty of Evo owners who have slammed their car into a wall or were rear ended with a JDM bumper who beat the crap out of their removed crash beams with a sledgehammer and promptly tried putting it back in place before an adjuster could evaluate the damage.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just gonna comment on this, and everyone can take it for what it's worth. My dad was an insurance adjuster. I just spoke with him and he told that he never looked for a missing crash beam. Said he couldn't even remember a car not having one, even though he knows there was probably quite a few. But also said if the car was hit past 10mph, that crash beam wouldn't have mattered anyway. Especially in a rear end collision, since 5mph can tweak the frame.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Anytime an adjuster comes to my shop, he takes pics as proof of damage. Usually we write the estimate, unless it needs to go to a body shop.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

just keep it on. why risk it? And for all those guys with no modified rear crash beams... good luck on the 5mph love tap from behind.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

exactly, at rediculous speeds, there is a higher rate of potential damage. even though it may be only rated for slow speed bumps and crashes, think about what it would take to smash your front end without the beam present=everything, including the intercooler, radiator, fan, turbo, manifold, wastegate, etc all gets pushed into the block, hmm then ur screwed. leave it on.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my crash beam in when i rolled (yes rolled, LESS than 5mph) into the back of a bmw. The crash beam bent in, bent the fmic, which pushed into the fan which pushed into the radiator. Btw, you couldn't see any of the damage until you took off the bumper cover. Crash beam doesn't do all that much imo.