Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help me figure out why 2 gauges are inop please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help me figure out why 2 gauges are inop please

hey guys i was just wondering if you have come across this problem or could lead me into the right direction to diagnose it. i have a 05 RS that comes with the factory boost,volt, and oil temp gauges. the boost gauge operates fine but the volt and oil temp are completely inop and none of the gauges light up when turning on the lights. any ideas. thanks in advance!

adam
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
start by making sure they are plugged in
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if that doesnt work, get a multimeter and start looking for both those gauges +12VDC source and see if the connections are good and then make sure you have power to those gauges. it could be you have two busted gauges and your wiring/signal source are good.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks guys. if the connections and wiring is good, would the 2 inop gauges cause none of them to light up also? is there a fuse that enables them to light up?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 08:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

each gauge has a separate plug but they all get power from the radio harness so if one lights up so should the others
Old Oct 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

^ without even taken it apart im gonna assume what the problem is after you having said that. there is an aftermarket radio installed so im sure they tapped in or cut something messing up the gauges. ugh to people who cant do work right! thanks again though man!
Old Oct 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

when you pull the radio out if they didn't fiddle with the wiring too much you'll find a white patch harness for the oem sports pack gauge set up...all the gauge wiring is tapped right out of that white harness...you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out what the issue is from there
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a bad ground, I'm going to assume that the boost gauge is mechanical which is why that is the only gauge giving you a reading. The illumination and sensors all need grounds and could most likely share the same grounding point...I don't know much about the mr stock gauges but that's what my money's on!!!
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
when you pull the radio out if they didn't fiddle with the wiring too much you'll find a white patch harness for the oem sports pack gauge set up...all the gauge wiring is tapped right out of that white harness...you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out what the issue is from there
thanks man youve been a huge help. ill get her all figured out next weekend.

thanks to all the other replies fellas!