Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What exactly voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly voids warranty?

Will installing an aftermarket alarm system/remote starter void the warranty?

Ant
Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

the law is, warranty can only be voided if the modification can be directly related to the problem... i think
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Vanilla Sky
the law is, warranty can only be voided if the modification can be directly related to the problem... i think
That makes sense.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Yes (re: Vanilla Sky). http://www.sema.org
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

or whatever the dealer feels like voiding............
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:31 AM

well i talked to a dealer last week in LA. and he said "anything you do to mod the car, can and will void the warranty."

i asked about blowoff valves and stuff and he said that if there is a problem, and it could be related to the blow off valve in anyway it would be voided.

so when people say only if its related to the problem, well in our eyes its not, but too them there looking for something like that to make mitsu not pay. so... watch your backs.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laws, hah.. Mitsu makes their own laws
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

farting in your car will void the warranty on the seats...

j/k but I think it will pretty much be dealer dependent in most cases and the reason of the problem
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:53 AM

Seems everything voids the warranty. I personally have resigned to the fact that I have no warranty (at least one that will be honored). It wouldn't surprise me to hear say an aftermarket air freshener will void the drivetrain warranty.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Too bad Mitsubishi doesn't care what the law says.

ANYTHING can/will void your warranty or allow a dealership to refuse to honor it on a Mitsu product as many owners are finding out.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:58 AM

From the looks of it, you can do everything properly and they might still reject your claims... It does not look good. I will never buy a single product again from Mitsubishi. Had I know all this was going to be the case; I would have bought the STI…

I am extremely disheartened with Mitsubishi’s record with the members of this forum... Glad I have had no problems to date...

I could tell that it was going to be sticky dealing with them when I went in to get my bump stops removed… The shop guys asked me a dozen times if I had raced anyone yet… I said, “no the clutches in these cars are not good for hard driving so I don’t…” They said you should put in an aftermarket clutch and race it… I asked would they install or warrantee that, “well… no… but…” I asked about boost gauges and turbo timers… I was told that they “might” not void the warrantee, it would depend on the install, but and air filter or exhaust would void it for sure….

I have the full-extended warrantee, but I will likely never go to the dealership for anything at all...

Are STI owners having these issues with Subaru? That would be interesting to know how they are working out. I imagine that Subaru is dealing with things differently as they have been servicing the WRX for some time… Subaru has had a number of issues with clutches and I understand that they have been finally fixing them with newer parts. Sounds like they are already better along than Mitsubishi…
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The “SEMA” law is great in theory, but the dealer/service rep/district manager/corporate lawyers are the ones that decide if your mods are directly related to your warrantee claim. I have not seen to many owners win this battle. Mitsubishi is not the only company with this issue either.

It would be worth trying to find a dealer that is "mod" friendly before you buy a car. My advice is to be up front with your service rep and they can get good results for you. If it gets to the DM level you will likely loose.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:48 PM

in STi's for mods, it is dealer dependant, which is pretty much true for all manufacturers. I have seen warranty work on engines when the cars had mild engine mods, one of the better cases. In some bad cases the dealer may say that your mods allowed you to drive faster than the car was designed for, and therefore broke some suspension part as a result of the excess speed(The one I expect next for the STi owners is, the aftermarket stereo someone put in caused to much drain on the electrical system, so the engine blew up). At least we don't have stupid warranty spies at dragstrips taking down license plate numbers.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

When I went to test drive the evo I was looking at the engine. I had done my research so I knew alot about the car and what came standard... anyway to get to the point. The dealer came over and was like you know if you want to make it faster you can change out the stock intake and exhaust. I asked if that would void the warrenty and he was like no, no that won't void it. I have heard some stories on the forums though in which people have lost their warrenties to that. If I get my car from there, which i'm seriously considering venturing away from Mitsu, I'm bringin some video camera glasses or something so I got some proof. But then again this is the guy that told me that the EVO that is out now is just the EVO and not the Evolution 8, which may or may not come out next year and the next years model will have much more horsepower. Dealers are such morons!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Its against the law to put a remote starter in a manual transmission car...no one will do it..lol imagine remote starting your car.. and the day before you forgot to put it in nuetral..it would suck to watch your evo go rolling down mainstreet

Quick Reply: What exactly voids warranty?