Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rain got in my evo 9. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain got in my evo 9. What to do?

I'm not blaming this on the rain. Its totally my fault for leaving the windows cracked open on driver and passenger side. My door panel, half of seat, dash, and steering wheel is all wet. I didn't have time to wip everything down this morning, gotta get to work on time.

Should I be worry that rain can damage my interior? If so, what can I apply to take care of the interior?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Dry it off the best you can and use some protestant wipes on the vinyl and leather.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steering wheel, you can wipe it away with a towel easily without worrying about anything. Your door panel window controls might be water damaged but even so, mine was still working after it dried off. Seat, take a towel and start dabbing deep into the seat to get as much water out as possible. After getting out as much as you can possibly get, let it dry. You can sit on it and warm it up to dry faster but air drying would be best with windows open (hoping it doesn't rain again though). You really don't want mildew smell in the car.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my Talon got POURED in, I went an extra step and took both leather seats out of the car and sat them in direct sunlight until they dried up. I was most worried about mildew forming inside the foam of the seat and getting them dry ASAP worked like magic.

That and seats can take days to dry out by themselves if left in the car. You'll have a damp butt for at least 3 days if you got any decent amount of water in the seats.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

take off the door panel tonight and let it air out for a couple days. or else all that moisture will stay in their and if it hasnt already affected electronics, it may in the future.

towels to dry the seats.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

How much water? If it isn't too bad just leave the windows down during the day (if you have a garage) and it will be fine.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Dry it off the best you can and use some protestant wipes on the vinyl and leather.
As opposed to Catholic wipes? Sorry, I had to.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

^Funny You'll be fine. Rained real bad when I left the Prelude windows cracked while I was flying around. Took it home, parked in garage, put a fan by the door to blow inside and it was all good the next day. Was a soggy ride home but the fan took care of it.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

try a product called Damp-Rid you can get it at Home Depot
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
it will be fine, has happened to me like 3 times. just gets humid like smell if u don't dry it well
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:42 PM

Heat gun and/or hair dryer works, I used them when my stupid friend left his sunroof open in the winter.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

let it air dry as long as possible but also you can use the airdryer/blowdryer, also, try not to use any electronics like the window controller, electronics fail when they are ON AND are wet. Id personally let it just sit in my garage for 2 nights and blow dry everything
Old Oct 14, 2009, 02:02 PM

turn on the heater close all the door the humidity will rise to the windows then wipe it down. thats what my detailer told me to do if i ever spilled water of something in my car.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

my local do-it-yourself wash has a seat shampoo thing with a vacuum. it shoots soap in your seat then you suck it out. gets all smells and stuff out which is pretty cool. leaves it a lil damp but cleans them and leaves them smelling fresh. you should get the o.e.m. window deflectors. i have them and love it. its nice on hot days you can leave your windows cracked to let in some airflow and not worry about anything going in. plus they look pretty good.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:37 PM

Wow guys! Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely going to get the oem window deflectors as 05VIII suggested. So far I've used my bro in law high powered air compressor to get into the cracks of the doors , don't know if that was a stupid idea or what. Also tried soaking up the water on othe seats as good as I can. Helped alot too when it soaked up my pants for work. Other than that, wiping and applying dashboard cleaner. Provided I will try some of the tips given here.

Thanks again.
Klo

Quick Reply: Rain got in my evo 9. What to do?