Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How do you feel about Mitsubishi now?
I am still a loyal Mitsubishi customer.
22.22%
My view of Mitsubishi has changed for the worst and I likely won\'t buy another Mitsu product.
27.05%
It bugs me that Evo owners are being treated this way, but it doesnt affect my view of Mitsubishi and I would probably buy another product from them.
23.83%
I dont really care either way.
12.40%
I don\'t own an Evo or other Mitsu product.
7.73%
I hate Mitsubishi and don\'t want anything to do with them anymore.
6.76%
Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Your view of Mitsubishi now...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are good amount companies in the black and many with good 15% net imrovement over last year for Q3. The auto industry isn't one, which is good for consumers looking for a car. But with any goods, more exotic goods are often sought by those insulated from economic swings. The Evo just sits on the line, if it were equiped with a few more goodies, it might be more appealing to those who have more of a buffer from the current slowly improving slump.

GPTourer it sounds like you work at a dealership. Sales? Finance? That is really good to hear none of the issues talked about around here have shown up there. Could Clinton's deals with the japanese all those years benefited Alabama. How many evos have you guys moved? What are the top reasons people aren't driving off the lot with an Evo around there?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JRock

You're missing the point - no new car should have rust or terrible paint with little-or-no clearcoat. Those are not acceptable at ANY LEVEL OF COST for a NEW car. They aren't valid options to place on the balance in the first place.
Since when does a car need a clearcoat?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:01 PM

An Evo isn't a normal "ANY LEVEL OF COST" car, it's in a league of its own. It's hard to compare it to other cars because of they way it's built and distributed. It's obvious there are certain reasons you chose an Evo, if good paint is one of them, I'd be suited to leave you with this face =/
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrBonus

Since when does a car need a clearcoat?
Every new car needs paint that at least lasts the length of the warranty. In the Evo's case apparently a clearcoat would help a great deal with the "instant stain" issues several members have reported.

Originally posted by jayarr
An Evo isn't a normal "ANY LEVEL OF COST" car, it's in a league of its own.
Bottom line: It's still a new car and I don't understand how you can excuse it from actually having normal, acceptable build and component quality. That's incomprehensible.

I defy you to say I'm asking too much to have a new car be a new car and have enough quality in it to at least last the 3/36 warranty.

Any manufacturer will tell you that - they would love for everything to work at least the length of the warranty so they aren't paying for replacement parts and labor hours. (They already screw the **** out of techs for pay on warranty work and we won't get into that but it's proof they (normal companies) don't WANT things to break or need to be fixed or replaced while the vehicle is under warranty).

Mitsu defies that logic and attempts to pass off a less-than-average quality product and they can get away with it because it's an awesome-performing car and because of people like you who don't mind problems that most new car owners find unacceptable. And when it's something serious they just deny the warranty claim anyway so it's win-win for them, but hopefully in the end it will hurt them because it's such an underhanded tactic.

Not that it matters much since there are so few being sold and so few total produced so it's okay in both directions - supply and demand.

Last edited by JRock; Oct 23, 2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

909 - What about the Evo is appealing to you? You obviously
care more about the way a car looks.
You see, I'm never a car brand loyalist. If BMW makes a good car, I'll buy it..but if their next generation of cars suck, I'll skip it. I'm just a car fan, not a fan of a particular brand of cars. I got the evo because of the whole package - meaning the performance, price, expensive parts that came with the car. And I still stand by what I said....if not for the Evo, I probably would never have owned a Mitsubishi - not that I look down on the brand or anything, just that they havent been making any good cars of late besides the evo (subjective of course).
Old Oct 24, 2003, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JRock

Every new car needs paint that at least lasts the length of the warranty. In the Evo's case apparently a clearcoat would help a great deal with the "instant stain" issues several members have reported.
My car has yet to see a garage and has seen plenty of bird crap and even a hurricane and my paint couldn't look better. I guess it's my repeated application of Zaino.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I wonder if that would help (sarcasm)

Zaino =
Old Oct 24, 2003, 07:51 AM
In Timeout

On the way to work today all of my paint flew off the car, then the clutch went out and the tranny fell out of the car. What a POS if I were you I would never get a EVO
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mister2zx3
GPTourer it sounds like you work at a dealership. Sales? Finance? That is really good to hear none of the issues talked about around here have shown up there. Could Clinton's deals with the japanese all those years benefited Alabama. How many evos have you guys moved? What are the top reasons people aren't driving off the lot with an Evo around there?
Yeah, I am in sales. We have sold eleven Evos to date, and I have seen a few others come in from other areas for maintenance, but I don't have an accurate count. The car has many fans down here, but there hasn't been many that have been in a strong enough financial situation to take the plunge. A ~$500 note is tough for many especially if they're buried up to their eyeballs in their current ride. I think I see about 1 STi for every three Evos, but considering their lower production numbers that makes sense. Even still, I think the cars will move. At our current rate we should be out of them before the '04's arrive. The next big rush is usually right after Christmas at the end of the year when incentives for model year close out are usually at there highest. So I think it will be okay.

Yeah, we're like the new Detroit of the South down here. Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, and I think Hyundai (soon) have plants down here.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, quite a response on the poll. Nice!
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by 909

You see, I'm never a car brand loyalist. If BMW makes a good car, I'll buy it..but if their next generation of cars suck, I'll skip it. I'm just a car fan, not a fan of a particular brand of cars. I got the evo because of the whole package - meaning the performance, price, expensive parts that came with the car. And I still stand by what I said....if not for the Evo, I probably would never have owned a Mitsubishi - not that I look down on the brand or anything, just that they havent been making any good cars of late besides the evo (subjective of course).
You say you wouldn't like Mitsubishi if it weren't for the Evo, but you lack support to your argument. Your statement of the "performance, price, expensive parts that come with the car" is vague. The "performance" is from a 4G63 engine that comes standard with cars starting with the Galant VR4 and running through the 1G-2G Eclipse, 3000GT VR4, and Evo's (if I'm correct). The "price" isn't exactly "cheap" when you take into account all of the other cars who compete with if not top the performance of the Evo for a less of a price (given, the appearence of said cars may not be aesthetic). The "expensive parts" is what I think is hooking you. If you could find a '91 GVR4 with an engine that doesn't need immediate swapping, you could buy the car and throw in all those "expensive parts" for way less than $30k.

It's the way the Evo looks that you like, which is completely understandable.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Did I tell you guys that I'm 100% satisfied with my EVO today? If not, I'm 100% satisfied with my EVO!

Rock on Mitsubishi!!!
Old Oct 24, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

You say you wouldn't like Mitsubishi if it weren't for the Evo, but you lack support to your argument. Your statement of the "performance, price, expensive parts that come with the car" is vague. The "performance" is from a 4G63 engine that comes standard with cars starting with the Galant VR4 and running through the 1G-2G Eclipse, 3000GT VR4, and Evo's (if I'm correct). The "price" isn't exactly "cheap" when you take into account all of the other cars who compete with if not top the performance of the Evo for a less of a price (given, the appearence of said cars may not be aesthetic). The "expensive parts" is what I think is hooking you. If you could find a '91 GVR4 with an engine that doesn't need immediate swapping, you could buy the car and throw in all those "expensive parts" for way less than $30k.

It's the way the Evo looks that you like, which is completely understandable.
why do i need to support my arguement if it's just my own subjective opinion? If it's science or some universal fact, sure i can support my arguements with facts. To me, evo isnt expensive.. name me another car under 50k that performs as good (aside from STi). And it's also my subjective opinion that the Galant VR4, FTO, 3000GT VR4 doesnt quite cut it. I've got nothing to prove to you, or the world... I am a WRC fan btw.. which explains my choice of the evo over STi. See, everyone is nurtured to be different, thus they consider very different factors when buying a car...there's no universal good or universal bad.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 03:13 PM

Performs as good in what? You say you're a WRC fan, so performs well on a track or performs well on the street or on a course? Because there are numerous cars that perform as well, they are just older and a little beat up.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mitsubisi cars are like heroin, hate my "dealer" but have to have the "product"!

I HATE all Mitsubishi dealerships. Period. End of Story.

I LOVE Mitsibishi AWD turbo cars. Period. End of story.

When I bought my EVO I didn't ask about the warrenty because as a former and current Mitsubishi owner I knew the warrenty was useless the day I bought my EVO. This is also why mine was modified and making 269 HP at the wheels less than a week after I bought it. If my warrenty is useless even if I remain stock why not modify the living **** out of the car and enjoy it?

The people I REALLY feel sorry for are the poor bastards who bought an extended warrenty. Should have saved that money for the repairs you will be making when your warrenty if voided

Keith

Quick Reply: Your view of Mitsubishi now...