Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Its cold as **** and the heat dont work?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its cold as **** and the heat dont work?

well llike the title says, it started to get cold over here and its my first winter with this car so didnt really check out the heat before this.. when i go to turn it on only cool air comes out after like 15 minutes of running with car already warmed up.. i already checked the fuse box inside and outside and there are no blown fuses

can anyone help me out on this?.. or at least let me know which area i should check out next

btw i have a 03 gsr evo 8 if it mattered
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well does it or did it ever have a after market radio? or double din where the HVAC was relocated? if so this might be a possibility.

or heck is it easy to turn the HVAC heat nob to hot? is your answer to any of these questons is yes. then take out the cd players and inspect the HVAC unit the cable/wire might have popped out from its pin. line up the cable properly and use a big zip tie to reclamp it down. . . takes a few times for adjusting but it works.

that could be the easy solution to why you dont have heat. . .that cable could be off. . . and it is a really cheap fix. . . start there imo
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

have you noticed any puddles under the car? Maybe your thermostat or heater core went.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

beaing low on coolant will do that too, blow nothing but cold air...start with the most simple check coolant level.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Try a coolant flush first.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Mmmm..... must have the heat. Its getting cold as ***** over here too. Brrrr.....

Its like 45 degrees outside! =X
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Also, has it had a history of any sort of coolant leaks? If you or a PO used blockweld to try to plug a radiator hole or cure an 'unknown coolant loss', it could have clogged the heater core. Thats what happened on my old FD.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
thermostat stuck
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xXBadAndyXx
well does it or did it ever have a after market radio? or double din where the HVAC was relocated? if so this might be a possibility.

or heck is it easy to turn the HVAC heat nob to hot? is your answer to any of these questons is yes. then take out the cd players and inspect the HVAC unit the cable/wire might have popped out from its pin. line up the cable properly and use a big zip tie to reclamp it down. . . takes a few times for adjusting but it works.

that could be the easy solution to why you dont have heat. . .that cable could be off. . . and it is a really cheap fix. . . start there imo
cool thanks ill check that out.. when i got the car radio was relocated to bottom and mr gauges were ontop of hvac

Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
have you noticed any puddles under the car? Maybe your thermostat or heater core went.
no puddles

Originally Posted by Murf
beaing low on coolant will do that too, blow nothing but cold air...start with the most simple check coolant level.
coolant levels are good.. temp stays where its suppose to be at too
Originally Posted by Saleentones
Try a coolant flush first.
hmm..

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
Mmmm..... must have the heat. Its getting cold as ***** over here too. Brrrr.....

Its like 45 degrees outside! =X
fawk yes

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Also, has it had a history of any sort of coolant leaks? If you or a PO used blockweld to try to plug a radiator hole or cure an 'unknown coolant loss', it could have clogged the heater core. Thats what happened on my old FD.
Originally Posted by recompile
thermostat stuck
nah nothing wrong wit radiator and no leaks
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Ok lets say your heater is stuck in cold. On the drivers side of car, reach behind the center where the radio and hvac controls are you will be able to feel the hvac temp control selector. manually turn that. It will go twords the passenger compartment or the fire wall. get car warm first then manually turn it, because I forgot which way for heat. try that.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Murf
Ok lets say your heater is stuck in cold. On the drivers side of car, reach behind the center where the radio and hvac controls are you will be able to feel the hvac temp control selector. manually turn that. It will go twords the passenger compartment or the fire wall. get car warm first then manually turn it, because I forgot which way for heat. try that.
kkk will try that
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:41 AM

Is this knob white? I'm having the same problem, and its supposed to snow tomorrow, and I NEED HEAT! Can anyone take a picture of this thing, or something?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

If the heater core is plugged it would cause a similar problem.
once the car is warm grab the heater core hoses one at a time, they should both be hot. there about 1.5'' in diameter and go into the fire wall below the throttle body.
If one is hot and not the other or both a cold you got something blocking the flow.

Evan
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:16 AM

I have an 03' Evo gsr and I had the exact same problem. Go undernear the steering column while laying on your back and look to your left. You will see a white box type thing with a circluar type thing (Im terrible at describing this) but you will turn it up or down. I turned i think towards me and then the heat worked right away. Only problem is that its on the highest heat setting so it gets a too toasty at times.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

What SHANKS said too..check that.

Quick Reply: Its cold as **** and the heat dont work?