Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seats

Does anyone know if your seats can be redone?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As in re-covered? Yes, and it won't be cheap. You're better off buying new seats if they actually need entirely new covers.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will not be cheap but it also depends on what fabric you choose to recover them in. Look for an automotive upholstery shop and see what they can do for you.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:58 AM

Thanx for the info
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Here's the link to my topic about using Katzkin leather

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rior-pics.html

Mike

And some outdoor pics too

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-interior.html

Last edited by mikenjulie; Nov 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

If they are not that bad just get some covers made that will probly be cheaper. Use your money on the engine.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

I just had part of my driver's seat redone yesterday because the bolster was worn down to the foam. It was $230 for three panels to be redone (one panel on the side bolster, and the two panels on the side of the seat bottom).

I had them use a cloth material that should be stronger than the stock crap. It looks and feels almost perfect to me. And it's held up great for the 2 days I've been driving it.

Another shop quoted me $300. So there can be a wide price variation between shops. The shop I used was recommended by the service writer I've gotten to know during my all-too-frequent trips to the dealer.

It was money well-spent as far as I am concerned. I wish I'd done it a couple of years ago when it started wearing badly. But as other guys have said, redoing all the seats could get pretty expensive if it cost me $230 for not even half of one seat.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:15 PM

You are better getting new seats. You can buy new seats cheaper than you can get your seats redone.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

I had some PMs asking to see what my seats looked like after being repaired.

I took no pre-repair photos, but anyone in this thread likely knows what a worn seat looks like. In my case, my left bolster was worn down to the foam and foam was starting to fall out.

Post-Repair.

Post-Repair, Annotated
The repair is not absolutely perfect. The shape of the side of the seat bottom, where both panels were replaced, looks a little off when viewed from some angles. (I guess pre-repair shots would have been good here.) I did not even notice the imperfection for the first day or two after the repair.

The material used appears shinier than the stock material in some light. I did this on purpose, though. I used cloth rather than the stock stuff, and had multiple samples from which to pick. There was a cloth that more closely matched the stock stuff, but I asked the guy which was strongest and he said this had a tighter weave. In shadow, I see no difference at all between the materials.

I only replaced one of the two panels on the bolster, and an unintentional result is that the old panel looks crummier now by comparison.

This cost me $230 and a few hours of my time. My other seats are hardly worn, so for me this was a great solution. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Berserker; Nov 13, 2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shape inperfection is due to he cut in the foam they replace being off, either that or where your old foam was missing and they didnt repair it.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:00 PM

If your just looking at redoing the fabric, i would highly recommend wet okole seat covers. They have excellent fitment and since they're made from wet suit material they're waterproof as well.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:07 AM

just take it to a local fabric shop see how much they want and if thats to much look on local forums for a cheaper seat
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Berserker
I had some PMs asking to see what my seats looked like after being repaired.

I took no pre-repair photos, but anyone in this thread likely knows what a worn seat looks like. In my case, my left bolster was worn down to the foam and foam was starting to fall out.

Post-Repair.

Post-Repair, Annotated
The repair is not absolutely perfect. The shape of the side of the seat bottom, where both panels were replaced, looks a little off when viewed from some angles. (I guess pre-repair shots would have been good here.) I did not even notice the imperfection for the first day or two after the repair.

The material used appears shinier than the stock material in some light. I did this on purpose, though. I used cloth rather than the stock stuff, and had multiple samples from which to pick. There was a cloth that more closely matched the stock stuff, but I asked the guy which was strongest and he said this had a tighter weave. In shadow, I see no difference at all between the materials.

I only replaced one of the two panels on the bolster, and an unintentional result is that the old panel looks crummier now by comparison.

This cost me $230 and a few hours of my time. My other seats are hardly worn, so for me this was a great solution. Your mileage may vary.
Got any pics of the new?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moevo9
You are better getting new seats. You can buy new seats cheaper than you can get your seats redone.
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
As in re-covered? Yes, and it won't be cheap. You're better off buying new seats if they actually need entirely new covers.

this is a complete lie, well not fully, if you buy regular lancer seats it will be cheaper. There is an awesome upholstery shop near my house, they will re-upholster my seats completely for $250 each. I also wanted to use real suede and they said $100 in fabric. That is $600 and i will have bad azz brand new recaros that look wayyyy better then stock.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Just try and sell 'em for funds for a Evo9 interior or front seats. I know SharkBite had his rear seats recovered in the BRIDE material. Or just the writing on it.