Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Attn: Baja10

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Baja10

I saw in your other thread regarding :*-('s Evo with the blown motor that you worked at the Mitsu Dealership.

As a potential Evo owner I am wondering....is Mitsubishi is going to deny warranty claims on motors that blow just because they're driven hard? Last time I checked, bald tires and a worn clutch do not automatically make a powertrain warranty invalid.

On what basis was his warranty denied?

Mods, please do not lock this thread...this is important information to potential Evo owners.

btw, the thread I am referencing is this one: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=45185

Page 4 contains the post by baja10 I'm talking about.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:12 PM

bringing the Def....
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Why don't you just PM him? Obviously his blown motor is an individual incident, not a trend.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fireball
Why don't you just PM him? Obviously his blown motor is an individual incident, not a trend.
I did PM him too, thanks.

If his engine wasn't modded, and no aftermarket parts were present, how could they deny his warranty just because the tires were bald and clutch worn?

I am extremely concerned by this. If Mitsubishi is truly going to be this aggressive in denying claims then there is no way I'm buying an Evo.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:49 AM

DefBringer...

I do not work for service I am in sales but I will do my best to explain. The thing is that you EVO owners need to have regular documented oil changes. This kid took his failing EVO to another dealer I believe Jacksonville and had his car loked at. The motor was almost completely without oil. It had less than a quart in it. Pulling his service record it was established he was overdue on his mileage for his oil to be changed. So cut and dry he voided his warranty. That info is all on mitsu file

Aside from that I heard he posted something on some webBoard and said something along the lines of he had modded his car and blown it. And he was bragging how he would put it stock and take it in for warranty. Supposedly a copy was sent to a mitsu dealer in Gainesville and of course info was passed along. That may be here nor there but regardless he did not follow his warranty guidelines.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by DefBringer

I did PM him too, thanks.

If his engine wasn't modded, and no aftermarket parts were present, how could they deny his warranty just because the tires were bald and clutch worn?

I am extremely concerned by this. If Mitsubishi is truly going to be this aggressive in denying claims then there is no way I'm buying an Evo.
Someone directed me to this site.

I think these are good questions, and should be answered. Whether or not someone was given a car is pretty irrelevant. Whether or not they are "rich" doesn't matter either. If they were rich, they probably would have gotten a Porsche.

I don't believe warranties can be voided without proof. So I'm also curious what the proof was.

*edit* Baja replied at the same time.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by baja10
DefBringer...

I do not work for service I am in sales but I will do my best to explain. The thing is that you EVO owners need to have regular documented oil changes. This kid took his failing EVO to another dealer I believe Jacksonville and had his car loked at. The motor was almost completely without oil. It had less than a quart in it. Pulling his service record it was established he was overdue on his mileage for his oil to be changed. So cut and dry he voided his warranty. That info is all on mitsu file

Aside from that I heard he posted something on some webBoard and said something along the lines of he had modded his car and blown it. And he was bragging how he would put it stock and take it in for warranty. Supposedly a copy was sent to a mitsu dealer in Gainesville and of course info was passed along. That may be here nor there but regardless he did not follow his warranty guidelines.
Hmmm, very interesting. I'm surprised that somebody who is wealthy wouldn't bother bringing their car in for an oil change.

If you have the info, I'd love to know what webboard he makes the claim that his car was modified too. Does this mean that Evo owners should not mention modifications on forums now?

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, but does Mitsubishi realize that Toyota, Honda, and Mazda do not go on to forums trying to catch their car's owners posting? This kind of aggressive supervision is troubling to me as a former Supra and RX-7 owner (both highly modified)....
Old Oct 22, 2003, 07:09 AM

i'm not sure, but it would seem to me that if we all as a community, continue to beat the **** out of our cars and then brag about it online, mitsubishi is going to do their level best to deny as many warranty claims as possible...all of the issues here have been well documented, and it should come as no surprise why these warranty issues occur...simply put, learn to drive better and take better care of your car and you will find it will take better care of you...anyone who has been in this hobby for any length of time can attest to that...the evo is a great car and excellent mod platform, but it is not indestructable, and if you abuse it, it will break, at which point you should not look to mitsubishi to fix what you broke...i'm not talking about rust issues, seat fabrics, or bad paint, so no flaming about that, just repeated hard launches, sketchy mods, and life at redline...it's a great car, enjoy it for what it is, but also bear the responsibility for your actions...just my 2 cents
Old Oct 22, 2003, 07:19 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if you mod it, it is not covered under warranty plain and simple and I think that applies to all carmakers, from a lowly hyundai to a porsche.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by sblvro
if you mod it, it is not covered under warranty plain and simple and I think that applies to all carmakers, from a lowly hyundai to a porsche.
Sorry, this is not true.

Please research before making comments like this. It is up to the service department to prove that a modification caused failure in a covered part. The turbos on my RX-7 were replaced by Mazda even though I had aftermarket exhaust and downpipe without me having to threaten legal action.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:11 AM

that's what I meant obviously! do I have to elaborate?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:12 AM

Hmmm, very interesting. I'm surprised that somebody who is wealthy wouldn't bother bringing their car in for an oil change.

Since when does being wealthy or not have to do with somebody not bothering to take good care of your car??? Wealthy or not the kid didnt take good care of his car and its all on file.

Exactly
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:15 AM

Sorry, this is not true.

Please research before making comments like this. It is up to the service department to prove that a modification caused failure in a covered part. The turbos on my RX-7 were replaced by Mazda even though I had aftermarket exhaust and downpipe without me having to threaten legal action.
were these aftermarket turbos? exactly!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I had heardx about this kid from another source in otown as well and it just appears he is tryin to get the masses to rally behind him.... or something like that...
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

were these aftermarket turbos? exactly!
Was the engine in his blown Evo aftermarket? Exactly.

same difference, pal.

If a dealer refuses warranty work on a COVERED part due to the presence of an aftermarket part, they MUST...I repeat...MUST (by LAW) be able to prove so. Yes, it might cost you some court fees, but an engine is expensive!

Quick Reply: Attn: Baja10