Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Importing and Legalizing..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2003, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing and Legalizing..

Lately, I've been thinking about importing an older Evo from Europe or Japan (I can read European car ads better) and I was wondering about the legalization of the cars after they're shipped. I've heard numerous stories of how it costs millions and it's not worth it, but I wanted to know for sure. I did a little google'in and found alot of Skyline importers and legalization info (even when I typed in Lancer Evolution, go figure); not too satisfying. I was thinking maybe someone on this site knew FOR SURE what exactly has to be done and why it costs so much.

I would greatly appreciate an enlightenment on this topic. Maybe my dream will die, but I'm prepared to deal with that. Opinions welcome as well.

Thanks,

J.R.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt mind picking up a TME down the road.

How are kit cars made legal to drive? is there anyway to register one as a kit car? maybe bring the shell over and put engine in?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

wrc4ever has a legalized LHD Evo7....ask him
Old Oct 22, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually i believe there is no way you can possibily officially legalize it because it has not been approved by whatever oganization controlls the importing of vehicles( i forgot the name of it). so it would always be considered an off road vehicle.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

no he doesn't!

Originally posted by drummerjun
wrc4ever has a legalized LHD Evo7....ask him
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree.. I think people are mistaking legalized with street registered.. There are so many issues with legalization and whatnot.. Kit Cars in some cases have already gone through some of the DOT required tests to allow them to become registered, some rely on using a chassis from a car that predates the laws.. In any case, those kit cars have a certificate of origin which allows you to get a Title..

In NY State, its actually possible to register and insure a grey market (Imported car) However i've never looked deeply into it. THe problem is when it changes owners, there may be issues that the new owner may not be able to register it.

Its actually very widely documented, just hard to find any hard facts.

I did this research a few years back when I attempted to have a Holden imported.. Ultimately I gave up when I could not be certain that I could get the car on the road.

There are several "Not so legit" ways too, unfortunately there Illegal for a reason..

If you can somehow establish ownership and origin on an imported car, you actually could register it in NY (After it passes a NY Inspection.. honestly its not hard to pass)

I wish I had more specific information.. I found a majority of my info looking up Kit Car registration legalities, specifically for the Cobra.. But it applied to many different possibilities.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Well from what we gather the Evolution cannot be imported and legally registered for street use. The Skyline is a a whole different animal. Motorex actuall crash tested several and went through all the paper work properly and it took 2-3 years. Evolution imports is "trying" to get the paper work done for the Evo but it looks like a lost cause. They need to crash test Evolutions or prove they r substacial similar to a US Legal car and they have not done so yet. So only time will tell

If u search around this forum u should find several threads about this very issue
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
one can only hope.. Eh?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:14 AM

Thanks alot, but that doesn't completely answer my question. Although I didn't know most of that before hand.

Still curious, what are the exact rules that would qualify the car to be driven in the states without hassle?

I'm aiming to import a car (legally if possible), register it and drive it on the streets without any hassle whatsoever. I'm not too keen on "kit" cars and the lingo of importing so any infro would help.

THANKS!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Here is how I understand it.

If the car is 25 years of age or older, it is exempt from the Federal Safety regulations and is only a matter of 3 pieces of Federal documentation to get it into the country. I imported a 61 Austin Mini this way. So if you just wait till 2025, your TME Evo's will be easily imported to the US.

If the car is less than 25 years of age, you have to import the car through a Registered Importer who has the approval of the NHTSA to federalize THAT SPECIFIC CAR. That is, the car has to be repaired or built in such a way that it meets all federal crash, safety and emissions standards for a car of that model year. It is not easy to get this approval from the Fed govt. Which is why you don't see more JDM spec cars on the roads here in the US.

SC~
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Do a search under Evolution imports and you will get a ton of info reference this topic. It has been covered over and over
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

yeah. What he said. Infact, when you do a search for Evolution Imports, add user name 'Senor Info' to the user field of the search engine.

SC
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by zlancer
actually i believe there is no way you can possibily officially legalize it because it has not been approved by whatever oganization controlls the importing of vehicles( i forgot the name of it). so it would always be considered an off road vehicle.
Pretty much. Even if you register it and insure it, technically speaking, the car is not legally. It has never been federally approved for road use.

http://www.nhtsa.org
Old Oct 23, 2003, 02:35 PM

Thanks alot guys, I knew it was a painstaking procedure.