Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi announces Evo VIII FQ330

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2003, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jw

I was just wondering... but is the FQ330 for the United States or for Europe?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy **** this thread has gone straight to the ****ter in a matter of a day. Good christ people.

1) octane ratings are different in the US than Europe and other countries

2) this is for EUROPE ONLY folks

3) is there really a need to spew more garbage against Vishnu/Shiv? We've heard it all a THOUSAND TIMES and it's OLD god dammit.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by webguy330i
Holy **** this thread has gone straight to the ****ter in a matter of a day. Good christ people.

1) octane ratings are different in the US than Europe and other countries

2) this is for EUROPE ONLY folks

3) is there really a need to spew more garbage against Vishnu/Shiv? We've heard it all a THOUSAND TIMES and it's OLD god dammit.
RON, MON, PON
US = PON = Pump Octane Number
UK = RON = Research Octane Number (Test)

UK 95 RON = US 91 PON
UK 98 RON = US 94 PON

Their gas isn't all that much better than ours. It is certainly not 104octane and no where near C16.

If this FQ330 package is true it is interesting that they can do it without a turboback (emissions friendly) and with just a reflash and some kind of small part.

That's why it's difficult to believe Shiv did this because to extract these kinds of times/power you need to go to a stage 1.

Shiv???
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by meisnerboy

RON, MON, PON
US = PON = Pump Octane Number
UK = RON = Research Octane Number (Test)

UK 95 RON = US 91 PON
UK 98 RON = US 94 PON

Their gas isn't all that much better than ours. It is certainly not 104octane and no where near C16.

If this FQ330 package is true it is interesting that they can do it without a turboback (emissions friendly) and with just a reflash and some kind of small part.

That's why it's difficult to believe Shiv did this because to extract these kinds of times/power you need to go to a stage 1.

Shiv???
To extrapolate that a bit more,

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ane#post472677
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Mitsubishi announces Evo VIII FQ330

Originally posted by RaX
http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/...nk=211&id=6165

I really hope Mitsubishi plans on doing something similar here in the US, maybe not the same power levels, but having the parts fully warranted.
It'd better be the same power levels (or more is okay). I'd be interested. That would be awesome.

The navigation can eat my *** though.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Um...

The FQ-300 has a HKS Dragger exhaust and HKS intercooler pipes on it already. The FQ-330 is an upgrade to the FQ-300. Therefore, the FQ-330 already has that HKS Dragger exhaust in place.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

Um...

The FQ-300 has a HKS Dragger exhaust and HKS intercooler pipes on it already. The FQ-330 is an upgrade to the FQ-300. Therefore, the FQ-330 already has that HKS Dragger exhaust in place.
Oops. Forgive the noob in the corner still driving the wrx.

Is that a full turboback? If it replaces the cat then we can really doubt if it will come to America and be waranteed.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

I believe it's just a cat back. They need the cat in euroland too IIRC. This will never make it to the US, plain and simple!!
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Oops. Forgive the noob in the corner still driving the wrx.

Is that a full turboback? If it replaces the cat then we can really doubt if it will come to America and be waranteed.
Unsure, but I bet this won't come to America anyway. We ***** too much. Who ever heard of a clutch being a warranteed part, anyway?

They need to sell cars in the US with a warranty deleet option for a few thousand dollars less. I would have bought my Evo for $28 grand with no warranty at all if I was offered that. Knowing damn well that I was going to modify the car, warranty work seems silly for the most part. Saving a few thousand and using it to get going with the mods......that sounds a lot better.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
Here is my problem, If he did it right the 1st time you would not have to add a chip. That is BS. I know back when he said that flashes are dumb and you can do all that with the xede. Now he goes on to say, You need a reflash as well as the xede? Does that not make him look like a dumbass, what about him and Al going at it a few days about? If he did his R&D right this would of never happened. Also why is the AEM so bad? All the stock sensors and just swap the computer and you can do stuff like anti-lag or whatever. I have used a Motec in the past and it really is not that bad. Also did a AEM with a turbo nsx that works great! I know it will be a little more work but we will see. Going to do it around April of next year to let the bugs get worked out. I can also drive 10 hours to Ohio and let them do the install and not have to pay 1,000 or whatever he charged to get a custome tune.
Ryan,
I'm not so sure why you are so angry. First of all, I never said reflashes were "dumb". Since it accounts for much of our business in the WRX world, saying such a thing wouldn't only be wrong but also rather self destructive. Second, we haven't been able to answer any of our Stage 2 inquiries because Stage 2 isn't finished yet. In fact, we just rolled the complete stage 2 car for the first time day before yesterday, a couple of hours before I caught my plane for the NJ tuning trip (I'm logging in from BM Tranny right now). It is impossible for me to give you any specifics of the Stage 2 kit since it is subject to change.

As for the XEDE plus reflash, I don't think $100 for higher rev limits and boost limits (two of the very few things the XEDE cannot do on its own) is an unfair price to ask. Sure, it's not necessary or even useful in 99% of the applications. But throw a GT3037 turbo, 880cc injectors, c16 and 30psi of boost at it and it'll make sense.

Gotta go...

Cheers,
shiv
Old Oct 25, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

Unsure, but I bet this won't come to America anyway. We ***** too much. Who ever heard of a clutch being a warranteed part, anyway?
Typical warrantee outside of the US is one year.

It would make for an interesting poll. Would one go for a one year warrantee but with room for tuning parts versus forget tuning and a five year power train warrantee.

How about signing away your current warrantee for a one year w/ FQ upgrades?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 02:00 PM
In Timeout

I am pissed because I do not want a reflash and to be honest with how slow you ship I could see you having my ecu for a few weeks and that does not cut it. Also why do you say you are going to do a stage 2 turbo kit and it's been over 3 months can't find anyone to farm the work out to? and it's still not done, No updates, no nothing. I also know what Brett is going to say before I call, he is going to say "Check back in a few weeks" It's pretty damn sad. Keep your customers informed and stop posting stuff that makes people think, don't bull**** your customers. If you did the 330 say it don't make a post with this and never follow up. Shiv I have to say man that you are a Tooner tease. All talk and no action, or HP.

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

Ryan,
I'm not so sure why you are so angry. First of all, I never said reflashes were "dumb". Since it accounts for much of our business in the WRX world, saying such a thing wouldn't only be wrong but also rather self destructive. Second, we haven't been able to answer any of our Stage 2 inquiries because Stage 2 isn't finished yet. In fact, we just rolled the complete stage 2 car for the first time day before yesterday, a couple of hours before I caught my plane for the NJ tuning trip (I'm logging in from BM Tranny right now). It is impossible for me to give you any specifics of the Stage 2 kit since it is subject to change.

As for the XEDE plus reflash, I don't think $100 for higher rev limits and boost limits (two of the very few things the XEDE cannot do on its own) is an unfair price to ask. Sure, it's not necessary or even useful in 99% of the applications. But throw a GT3037 turbo, 880cc injectors, c16 and 30psi of boost at it and it'll make sense.

Gotta go...

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by Ryanmcd2; Oct 25, 2003 at 02:02 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan,
First of all, I'm not at the office. I've spent the entire day tuning 10 EVOs at BM Tranny in NJ. They are nice enough to let me use their computer. Still, I haven't had time to catch up on every single thread. I don't expect to do that until I get back to the office on Tuesday. I'm sorry if this is unacceptable to you. Second, I don't think I've bs'd anyone with regards to Stage 2 or the 330. Did I tune the 330? No. Kinda hard to tune something that was developed on the other side of the ocean. My original post (from last night) was to comment on the fact that it is running a piggy-back computer. A device that some regard as "inferior" to a stand-alone or a reflash. Hence my question as to what kind of piggy-back computer it was running. I also like the idea that they couple the piggy-back with a boost control pill change/removal. Sounds familiar.

As for Stage 2, if you don't like the fact that it isn't ready for sale, that's really too bad. We don't like telling people to call back in a few weeks either. But since we have to support it and put our name on it, it's not going to be released until it's ready. While we'll be happy to show it to anyone who comes by our shop (it does look nice, btw), until I finish the ECU calibrations (which is what takes the most time), no further info can or will be released. Fortunately, most people understand this and would rather not be sold a "beta" kit. Even for the owner of the car, I'd like to deliver a complete, glitch-free product. I'm sorry that I teased you. This was not my intention.

Regards,
Shiv

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
I am pissed because I do not want a reflash and to be honest with how slow you ship I could see you having my ecu for a few weeks and that does not cut it. Also why do you say you are going to do a stage 2 turbo kit and it's been over 3 months can't find anyone to farm the work out to? and it's still not done, No updates, no nothing. I also know what Brett is going to say before I call, he is going to say "Check back in a few weeks" It's pretty damn sad. Keep your customers informed and stop posting stuff that makes people think, don't bull**** your customers. If you did the 330 say it don't make a post with this and never follow up. Shiv I have to say man that you are a Tooner tease. All talk and no action, or HP.

Old Oct 25, 2003, 03:41 PM
In Timeout

Why don't you train your people and keep them in the loop? Like I said you could farm it out to an answering service and if she did not even know what an EVO was she would be about the same help as your staff.

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Ryan,
First of all, I'm not at the office. I've spent the entire day tuning 10 EVOs at BM Tranny in NJ. They are nice enough to let me use their computer. Still, I haven't had time to catch up on every single thread. I don't expect to do that until I get back to the office on Tuesday. I'm sorry if this is unacceptable to you. Second, I don't think I've bs'd anyone with regards to Stage 2 or the 330. Did I tune the 330? No. Kinda hard to tune something that was developed on the other side of the ocean. My original post (from last night) was to comment on the fact that it is running a piggy-back computer. A device that some regard as "inferior" to a stand-alone or a reflash. Hence my question as to what kind of piggy-back computer it was running. I also like the idea that they couple the piggy-back with a boost control pill change/removal. Sounds familiar.

As for Stage 2, if you don't like the fact that it isn't ready for sale, that's really too bad. We don't like telling people to call back in a few weeks either. But since we have to support it and put our name on it, it's not going to be released until it's ready. While we'll be happy to show it to anyone who comes by our shop (it does look nice, btw), until I finish the ECU calibrations (which is what takes the most time), no further info can or will be released. Fortunately, most people understand this and would rather not be sold a "beta" kit. Even for the owner of the car, I'd like to deliver a complete, glitch-free product. I'm sorry that I teased you. This was not my intention.

Regards,
Shiv

Old Oct 25, 2003, 04:18 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Diesel
so Shiv...? when's you r next east coast trip...
Shiv was at BM Tranny in Bound Brook, NJ today!

He tuned my Stage One, 314 WHP/278 TQ! That'll walk on a FQ 330! No nav system, alcantra leather, or warranty though.

Remember that the FQ 330 comes with mods already installed. Do not expect to add an additional 70WHP from relatively inexpensive bolt-ons. If you are inclined to try, there goes the warranty, which brings it all back to the nav system, alcantra leather, and the all important FQ-330 badging.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi announces Evo VIII FQ330