Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Upgrade path/advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade path/advice

So, after having one of the top 5 moments of my life occur a week ago (evo paid off), i've decided to start planning out future upgrades. I am not looking for anything to insane, but a solid all-round upgrade. So heres what i'm thinking, all would probably be done at once. Any suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

Buscher Filter
Hallman Pro RX MBC
Walbro 255
MAP 02 Eliminator downpipe + Test pipe
AMS LICP
Swift swaybar set
ZT-2 AFR + DashDaq monitor
Pressure sensor (Boost)
Fluid temp sensor (Oil)
Fluid pressure sensor (Oil)
Forge BOV

The intent is to use the dashdaq + sensors to replace gauges. Car is an 03 Evo 8, came with a HKS carbon cat-back, so i should be set on that. If theres anything major that im completely missing, let me know! *fireproof suit on*

Last edited by asininedervish; Dec 1, 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Forgot BOV
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'd go with a real open filter rather than a drop-in. The MAF adapters are like $20, then throw a filter on there.

Any mbc should do the trick. The "pro rx" hallman isn't anything special. Go with what's cheap.

You need the Walbro. I like the MAP downpipe, and the LICP. The MR bov is a good idea.

I'd leave the dashdaq, swaybars, etc off there, probably won't do much. Oil pressure is probably more important that oil temp. Boost gauge is important.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

My understanding was that with the dashdaq i could effectively have a boost gauge, by installing a pressure sensor and routing it to the system? Not a huge fan of to many gauges cluttering the cabin.

Good advice on the filter. I'll prolly do that.

as to the MBC, i read a thread or two on having issues with strong enough springs, and it seemed that the hallman was a solid bet even on upgraded turbos.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:36 AM

I have the forge mbc and it's worked great so far
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kingofvacuity
I have the forge mbc and it's worked great so far

+1

Had a Forge and really liked it!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see it listed but if you are still on the oem clutch look into an aftermarket clutch to handle your new mods/power.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by asininedervish
My understanding was that with the dashdaq i could effectively have a boost gauge, by installing a pressure sensor and routing it to the system? Not a huge fan of to many gauges cluttering the cabin.

Good advice on the filter. I'll prolly do that.

as to the MBC, i read a thread or two on having issues with strong enough springs, and it seemed that the hallman was a solid bet even on upgraded turbos.
your understanding is correct with the boost gauge function of the zt2

hallman or forge mbc are your best bet

Last edited by chaotichoax; Dec 1, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

By 02 eliminator downpipe, do you mean it's all one piece? That just sounds like a pain in the *** to me.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Ehh, i've never pulled it on the evo, but exhausts arent usually to hard to deal with..
Course, im not sure if it really matters, but this way it actually has the full 3" diameter throughout.

As to clutch, i am still on the OEM. Think i'd really have to worry about slippage with those mods? Still on the stock clutch actually at 56k, and it still feels strong.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Ehh, i've never pulled it on the evo, but exhausts arent usually to hard to deal with..
Course, im not sure if it really matters, but this way it actually has the full 3" diameter throughout.

As to clutch, i am still on the OEM. Think i'd really have to worry about slippage with those mods? Still on the stock clutch actually at 56k, and it still feels strong.
What I mean is, if you ever have to remove the turbo for whatever reason, you're going to likely have to remove that whole downpipe instead of unbolting two bolts where the 02 meets the dp. Like I said, pain in the ***.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

My OEM clutch was good too, I had a little more miles on mine. I started modding @ 59K miles and after about 2 weeks the clutch started slipping. Use it for as long as you can but I'm pretty sure it won't last long just like mine.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

add a good tune to the list
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a good basic list, I did almost the exact same thing with only a few differences. I went with Defi gauges because I love 'em, and I would recommend getting Swift Spec-R's too, they're amazing, and the don't slam the car at all. Also may want to look into a slight performance brake upgrade to go with the added power.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 03:14 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Skip the Forge BOV and just get the oem Evo 9 one. What are your plans with the car? A daily driver, garage queen, road course, autox?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

lucky, I got a year left of wounderful payment then i'll go hta green yea!

Quick Reply: Upgrade path/advice