Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Poor, Sad Evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Poor, Sad Evo

I'm posting this here for feedback on the question below.

Well, my wife was driving my car (Evo IX MR) the other day and after we were done having lunch together she was hit by someone traveling 45-50 while she was turning left. She was at fault (got off with a warning citation), we have good insurance (yay USAA!), but the other guys car was totaled (91 Subi Legacy or something).

Pics are below. The rear door will not open at all and the B-pillar is completely done. Also, the trunk does not seat properly. We are waiting on the car to be transported to the body shop for an estimate on repair. As you can see, the rear control arm looks bent and there may be axle damage (don't know). In your opinion, does it 'look' totaled?

My big question is: if the insurance company totals it, should I buy it back from them and part it out? How much should I pay for the salvage rights? How much could I reasonably expect if I stripped the car bare?

Mods:
FP Red 80mm with Oil Line
PPI Extreme Ported EM, IM, 65mm TB
Megan 02 housing
PTE 1000cc Injectors
Kelford 272 cams
AMS 3.5 FMIC
ETS Upper and Lower IC
Buschur TBE with Magnaflow and HFC
Swift Spec-R springs
Agency Power Rear Sway
Walbro 255
Whiteline Roll Center kit
Perrin PSRS
Prosport Boost gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband

Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OuCH!! sorry to hear about it. I'm glad your wife is ok. If you are planning on getting another EVO and have the space, I would definitely say try to buy it back. If nothing else you can use the parts for yourself. Good luck.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's close to a total loss, I've seen less dmg n it was a goner
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear about ur car , but I hope u learned something. Never let your women drive your car.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

She actually enjoys driving it, just an unlucky occurrence. The car that hit her was beside a turning truck and my wife couldn't see him. Everyone went to the hospital, but she and the baby (we are 8 months pregnant) were ok. The guy seemed alright too.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope your wife is alright. I would say its going to get totalled out tho considering it was hit in one of the main structural points ( the B pillar). gl with your situation
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Well it all depend on how much is buyback. Also u'd need a garage to part it out at ur leisure if u wanna make best buck... Don't put it out in a backyard hickstyle, it will be worth **** in no time cuz of the elements
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Unlucky occurrence? Didn't you say she was at fault?

Glad to hear that everyone's OK though.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

5k??? Hahaha u havet seen oem part prices plus labor charges gonna punch 10k easily
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to be honest with you its just a car. i would take the mods off they should total that puppy its frame damge will never be the same in those spots will be a weak point right there. Next time it gets hit like that may not be so lucky. I would take the mods off an get another evo or get another car in general and sell the mods on it. if you have ot buy it back sell the mods then sell the frame and all. just to get underneath it. dont fix a salvage car
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

OMG!!!!! YOUR WIFE IS 8 MONTHS PREGNANT?!?!?!?! YOU SHOULD AT LEAST WRITE SHE AND THE BABY WERE OK IN THE FIRST POST!!!! Your car looks totaled too me, i dont know how much itwill cost to buy it back BUT, if you want another evo, and you think just the mods on your crashed evo are worth more then the buy back price then do it. You caould have all the mods plus sell everything else. Sorry to hear about that man. I would have freaked out if my pregnant wife were in that accident!!!! (not saying you didnt when it happened) good luck!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

I did freak out when it happened, I was behind her in our van and was in shock for about 20 seconds trying to grasp what went on. My mind vaporlocked and did not compute what just happened, I've only ever felt that way one time in my life.

Thank you everyone for your support! This community is great and I am considering another Evo if this one ends up TU.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

glad to hear your wife and the baby are ok the car is something material and can be replaced, the car however i'm going to venture is totaled. Like it was stated before the car was hit in crucial structural points and there is frame damage. The car will never be the same, I would buy the car back and part it out, you have a decent selection of cars you can get a few grand for. GL with it man
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Geez that was bad. Glad to hear everyone was safe. I'd say part it out and then try to sell the car as is. I don't think you'll fetch much with the shell, that's some pretty bad damage, but hell I've seen worse.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:33 PM

Wow...Glad everyone including the baby were ok, looks like a very hard hit. The motor is stil in great shape so buying it back and parting it out/putting it towards a next project seems like a great idea.

Quick Reply: My Poor, Sad Evo