Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Curious Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious Question

A week ago my clutch started to slip on my EVO 9. So every time I hit boost in any gear, especially 5th, the rpm's jump 5000 revs and then a second later the clutch catches and the car LAUNCHES forward like it would in first gear from a stop.

So my question is...

Has anyone come out with a tranny or clutch or something that would essentially do what the slipping clutch does, just more efficiently?
I understand I can drop the clutch every time I shift gears, but that would mean I would have to get a new clutch every week, and a new tranny every other week!

BTW: an appointment has been scheduled with AMS for a new clutch and other choice parts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so, from what i understand from your thread, you want to launch in every gear. basically.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol that is funny.
I know what your talking about.
Why don't you just brake boost?
Almost the same feeling. As far as anybody wanting to have that feeling all the time, I think your the first. Just try brake boosting AFTER YOU BREAK IN YOUR NEW CLUTCH!.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Wow. I wish I had money to do that.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, so you want to launch it every second your in the car!? I feel bad for your drivetrain. Just replace the stock clutch with a heavier duty setup with more clamping force, brake it in properly then you can get on it. Launch in first, then slam the gears, doing "launch" shifts like your describing is going to be more problematic for the gears in the transmission and transfercase than the clutch itself. Riding in the gear or just driving at speed then making the gears slam to match the revs of the motor is going to shorten the life of every part of your motor basically. So, please, for the sake of the Evo, don't do it.

Be careful
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
On the front of an automatic transmission there is a donut shaped tank with vanes and fluid inside called a torque converter. The torque converter can be made with a high stall speed. In other words, the engine can rev before the converter catches. Once the converter grabs onto the fluid, the movable vanes allow an infinite number of gear ratios. The result is you get what you are talking about.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds to me like you need an automatic.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:24 PM

No that is not what I meant. I wanted to take the concept of the slipping clutch and refine it. I would never do what I described above! Just to give you a idea of my driving style; I just now have to replace my stock clutch after 55000 miles (I bought the car with 2200 miles on it). So don't worry, I would shoot myself before I hurt the EVO!

Lets try to explain this again. Basically I was wondering if it is possible to launch into every gear without hurting the tranny, clutch or drivetrain. I suppose it is called "launch shifting", but I thought that would absolutely destroy the drivetrain after only a few shifts. That is why I have never tried it or intend to try it.

So I guess the real question would be if there is a tranny or drivetrain system which is designed to launch shifts?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
On the front of an automatic transmission there is a donut shaped tank with vanes and fluid inside called a torque converter. The torque converter can be made with a high stall speed. In other words, the engine can rev before the converter catches. Once the converter grabs onto the fluid, the movable vanes allow an infinite number of gear ratios. The result is you get what you are talking about.
Dude you are the man! But I don't know how to drive automatic, so is there a way to do that for manuals without having to replace the drivetrain every time?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by auni93085
Dude you are the man! But I don't know how to drive automatic, so is there a way to do that for manuals without having to replace the drivetrain every time?

WHAT?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol This thread is ridiculous haha. OP no. There is no way to get that launch effect shifting in every gear without doing some serious damage to your transmission and motor.
Im not sure why that guy posted the torque converter info though, completely off topic.
The answer once again is no.
You could always just drive around with a badly slipping clutch though lol.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:11 PM

who doesnt love the sweet smell of a burning clutch hahaa
Old Dec 18, 2009, 03:04 AM

sweet smell i don't think so as a matter of fact stinks hehehe
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by evoll
who doesnt love the sweet smell of a burning clutch hahaa
It smells as nice as a fine wine!! LOL!!