Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Radiator Leak! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Leak! Please Help!

Hello all!
I have a VERY small leak coming from the top of my radiator, looks like its coming from the seem where the black part meets the aluminum. I Was told regular radiator stop leak is bad...but to use K&W Permanent Head Gasket and Block repair, it says on the bottle that it pretty much repairs everything having to do with the cooling system, even the heater core...its not an additive but u let it circulate through the system for 30 min at idle then drain it and wait 12 hours then flush and refill...

i was wondering if any of u have ever used it and is it safe? thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

It might work for a temp. fix. but you really should get a new radiator...
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:24 PM

^what he said,i wouldn take chance of something clogging up heater core and then u will have some fun
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Funny story, I have a friend who's radiator had a pretty decent sized hole in it. So I had him warm the car up and I cracked an egg and put it in the radiator. I swear, I am not lying, it hasn't leaked for like 6 months.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:40 PM

^i believe you cuz i use to drag race mustangs and was in k.c. for nmra race and rad. got small leak and some1 told us to try it and it got me thru day of racing till i lost in semis
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I believe they did the egg fix on mythbusters. Good trick for when your stuck on the side of the road but why would you want to use an egg as a permanent fix? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen IMO.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chele
Funny story, I have a friend who's radiator had a pretty decent sized hole in it. So I had him warm the car up and I cracked an egg and put it in the radiator. I swear, I am not lying, it hasn't leaked for like 6 months.
I did the same thing, and it didn't work. So, I cleaned and flushed the radiator out and took it to a radiator shop. They couldn't do anything for me except to get me a new one. I just went ahead and bought a mishimoto.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:04 AM
Account Disabled

I agree, these things "work" but only in a 911 kind of situation.

I personally dont feel comfortable with the sludge from that block repair running through my car, or some egg yolk haha. Especially in turbo cars, same reason why you dont want to run that crap they sell that fixes work out rings, it can gunk up and build up around the turbo if youre running a wet center section.

My advice, if you want to rig fix it, JB weld it. Otherwise id say just invest in a new rad. The mishimoto ones are very in expensive and work pretty well.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Anything you put in your cooling system also circulate through your turbo. Fried eggs anyone?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by evo8nfs
It might work for a temp. fix. but you really should get a new radiator...
Just buy a new radiator. If you use that stop leak stuff it will clog up your system. There are several threads with part outs going on so look in one of those or check your local fourms or CL for a used one.

Shane
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

PM me for the quick fix
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a pinhole leak, you can plug it with epoxy. It will hold for at least a couple months. It's ghetto, but it can get you by if you don't have the cash to drop on a radiator right now. I've done it with my cars in the past, I don't know if I'd try it on my Evo though personally. Only the very best and so on.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:10 PM

K&w

think yall misunderstood..its not really an additive.. K&W is something u cycle thru the system for 30min at idle...then flush out until cleared.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Whatever you put in there the answer is still the same.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zumzero
think yall misunderstood..its not really an additive.. K&W is something u cycle thru the system for 30min at idle...then flush out until cleared.
You're still putting stuff in the cooling system and running the risk of it clogging another vital component. There is a reason we're all advising against adding anything designed to plug holes, stop leaks, etc. Its your car though so do what you want, it sounds like you already have your mind made up and you're just looking for that one person to back you up.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 19, 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Leak! Please Help!