Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My IX GSR + Snow = :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive smart..You can get from A to B safely without winter tires. It is in now way ideal $$ buy I have done it every winter.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
Your parents probably have 4k cash in their damn wallets if they have a Maserati on their compound. Have them buy you a Subaru Outback or something, there's tons in the area. Just turn your sideways hat forward when you ask. They'll be so blown away by your growing up that they'll do it in an instant.
LOL thats hilarious! Yeah this big-baller is all about bragging what his family has, I'm sure he could shovel the front walk and they'd buy him snow tires in exchange.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Never said I can't afford the tires, because I can. I just dont want to dump 4k on a pos ford explorer.

Not getting an outback either. Seen one this morning on the highway.. lose traction.. and slide all over. My evo did better.

I do drive smart and extremely slow and carefully, but I just lose grip completely.

What tires can I get localy, like from a pepboys or strauss auto or auto zone? I called a few more places and they do have tires like cooper or something that are apparently real good for the snow and like 142 a piece.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want cheap, but good, snow tires that fit the stock Evo wheels check out the General Altimaxs. Otherwise, if you're willing to spend a bit more and want a performance winter tire I loved my Hankook Icebear W300's. They had 3 winters on them when I sold them and the buyer will definitely get at least one more full winter from them. Discount Tire can get them if you have any of those in your area.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 19, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like weather will be clear for a while though.. just cold. So I think i'll just take a ride up someday this week to a shop in NJ that a friend buys his tires from and get some Blizzaks or the Icebear's.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude you got extreme summer tires now if there the advans... order some blizzacks and you'll be find there like high end winter tires well GL and you'll be happy with the results.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

my 9 does great for just normal driving with some cheap pep boy specials..
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

try craigslist
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

last year i drove around on RE-70's and had no problem in the snow.. just couldnt drive to fast... u have a AWD car it is better then any RWD car reguardless IMO
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a DD Saturn Astra and when it snows I take the EVO. 5 years and never got it stuck, spun out, got squirley. Nothing.

I now use a winter tire on the stockers and put the Volks on in the spring. But when it was my only car I used All Seasons all year long

Oh and the General altimax are the **** for winter tires
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:24 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Altimax+Arctic

Do it, don't drive the car till they're on.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't be stupid and drive on summer tires!! I end up in oncoming traffic.. The car just start to drift without any warning and there was nothing I could do.. I was lucky that everyone was able to stop in time.. NEVER again. The funny part is I was only doing about 20mph on Azenis rt-615.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Potenzas Pole Position RE960AS, and work OK on snow, as long as I don't try anything crazy.

Originally Posted by streetracerkam
I have Bridgestone Potenzas that came on the car like that from the previous owner.

I need to get around.

Only other cars to use are an FWD avalon that is stuck, a M6 or 650 that will never get out of my yard period, and a maserati..
lol. I guess im stuck for the next few days huh?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
You have the ability to drive a Maserati, an M6, a 650i, and you don't have snow tires and/or a winter car?

For what people spend on turbos you can just about go out and buy a cheap Ford Explorer. Go do that. You have nice cars, just go drop 4 grand on a beater and be done with it.
I agree what hotdog said. If you have that many cars, you could easily buy a set of winter tires. GL though in your situation. Glad you didn't crash

Last edited by EvolNinja; Dec 19, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys.
The car is officialy making me mad now.
I just wasted an hour trying to get into my driveway at an incline ( like 30 degree slope up maybe?)...

no wayz.
So a little pushing and a LOT LOT of shoveling and salt and luckily a couple sandbags from when we did our driveway a few days ago, I got it in.

Jeez.
These tires suck, lol.

Put, I went out and bought the available snow tires they had for the Avalon we have so we can have a car to use. I dont remember what they are, but they sure as hell are awesome. Stop and go, traffic, etc in like 4+ inches of snow on streets amd almost 8 in some streets and it hauls through. Its also FWD.
So im sticking to the avalon till the snow clears, then going to look for some wheels/snow tires for the IX for now and for my other IX MR for next winter (incase someone decides to buy my white one)

Quick Reply: My IX GSR + Snow = :(