Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My IX GSR + Snow = :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just spent an hour driving on up and down rt1 on half worn kumho asx's going 35mph it was very stable... in slow turns it drifts alil and you correct... evo is great in the snow if you have tires...

honestly if the evo is your daily driver, it sounds like you dont have much experience w/ sportscars. potenza's are SUMMER TIRES, even WITH awd you will kill yourself in this weather (or get stuck haha). shoulda done your research man!

Last edited by mifesto; Dec 19, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

i have sumitomo all seasons - all 4 for $550 and they worked great all day in 12 inches plus of snow.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With proper winter tires on my evo feels like a totally different car. I was expecting the winter tires to be good but they actually blow me away with how good they grip. An ACD equipt evo with snow tires is unstoppable. I bet I could go out and snow plow with my front air splitter. It gets around way better than my 4x4 tacoma with aggressive A/T tires.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I first got my evo last year with 255 rt615's. I had no idea a tire could be so horrible. I almost slide into the side of my garage just trying to park it in less than 1/2" of slush.

The altimax arctics are a good deal at tirerack. I like my hankook ipike w409's.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Hankook Icebears here, my second winter on them. The commute home today just put a smile on my face. Total control.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I have blizzaks ws-50 and they went through 15 inches of snow with NO problems. They dont slide, or get squirly. In snow mode, with blizzaks...i could stop in 15 inches of powder and start again without issue. And my car is lowered also...so my front end was snow plowing.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I used the Icebears last year and really liked them. Luckly, this year the Evo can stay parked in the garage all winter so I'm not going to bother putting my snow tires on. The all-seasons on my Mazda got me through the snow today.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Blizzacks = corvette on asphalt from what I hear.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kracka
snow tires! I have no sympathy for you idiots who attempt to drive in the winter (snowy/icey climates) with summer tires and crash your cars. These cars are fun as hell in the snow and handle incredibly well when properly equipped.
+1
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't crash it, and certainly dont plan on it.
It's sitting in my driveway untouched since noon and will remain so until the snow clears around tuesday, and then I''ll throw my BBS set with the Falken All Seasons I have.
Relax d00ds.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

The snow option on the traction control is really that bad? A year ago when I first got my evo, I was able to drive just fine with regular tires 45% tread in alaska. It was just the engaging the clutch from a stop was the problem, I would turn slightly sideways as I accelerate. Nothing major. I never had a problem not getting traction with the TCS selected on snow.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^It's not the car, it's the tires. You cannot reach the car's potential with improper equipment.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 For Blizzaks. The WS50's were good but the WS60's are even better as an all around tire for the winter, IMO. Whatever you do, don't drop the tire pressure if you are driving in snow. That works on ice because it increases the foot print of the tire but in snow it just makes the tire sit up on top of the snow instead of digging down through it. It is a common mistake many make with snow tires. In the snow you want a narrow tire with regular pressure to get maximum bite. If you think the Avalon is good with snow tires, wait until you get a set on the EVO! Just remember to go with a narrow tire as well.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

PM sent
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:33 AM

I had some issues on my way to work today. It wasnt any worse then when I had my cobalt.

I think you just have a heavy foot lol.

I have the stock summer tires on my X, and I was doign 65-70 on I95 this morning.

I also drove through my neighborhood today which wasnt touched, and did slide here and there but never lost total control.

back on topic tho

Blizzaks are beast for snow, but thats it. I would rather see you go all season, and save your self the hassle of going back and forth.

The Kumho are great tires.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Wow, idiot.

Quick Reply: My IX GSR + Snow = :(