Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My IX GSR + Snow = :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My IX GSR + Snow = :(

Due to the immature responses by people in this thread, im removing all information and am subjecting it to be closed/deleted.

In short what happened is, my car performed horribly in the snow. Obv i have summer times, but it should slip with slight step on gas, yet it did, so I put it away.

End of story. Im getting new tires for the season when I get the chance, until then, if the weather is **** then its staying inside.

Last edited by streetracerkam; Dec 20, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Snow tires make an enormous difference. Your old trucks didnt have maximum summer performance tires on them that you tried to drive on in the snow. It is ludicrous and dangerous to drive with stock tires or stock replacements. DO NOT drive the car again without some sort of snow or all season tire. You have been warned, be safe.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

What are the tires you have now? are they all seasons? drag radials? even all seasons suck in snow, but you should still be able to drive in it. try to drop your air pressure down to about 20psi and don't accel. or brake to hard. I was able to get around in 18" of snow without snow tires.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
idk i one season succeeded in driving on ice snow and etc. on the stock advans in my IX. just put the ACD in snow mode and used no brakes cause the ABS made them useless, just e-brake'd ( I went pretty slow though lol)
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
idk i one season succeeded in driving on ice snow and etc. on the stock advans in my IX. just put the ACD in snow mode and used no brakes cause the ABS made them useless, just e-brake'd ( I went pretty slow though lol)
You really think that is good, safe advice? You are better walking or biking. Don't be stupid, you need some type of snow equipment.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yes,

SNOW TIRES SNOW TIRES SNOW TIRES

You will be able to do whatever, go anywhere with snow tires

if you live anywhere where it snows, that is your first mod - a rim and tire package

Order them from Tire rack they will be there as fast as any other local company.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
put summer tires on any awd car see what it does,

cant turn
cant stop

just order ones from discount tire or tirerack

icebergs are cheap and good.

btw, not sure why you decided to buy tires now when winter season starts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SNOW TIRES! I have no sympathy for you idiots who attempt to drive in the winter (snowy/icey climates) with summer tires and crash your cars. These cars are fun as hell in the snow and handle incredibly well when properly equipped.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uh your driving an expensive performance car with performance tires! Highly suggest you get a set of sno tires and they make do hell of a difference...
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

I have Bridgestone Potenzas that came on the car like that from the previous owner.

I need to get around.

Only other cars to use are an FWD avalon that is stuck, a M6 or 650 that will never get out of my yard period, and a maserati..
lol. I guess im stuck for the next few days huh?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

You have the ability to drive a Maserati, an M6, a 650i, and you don't have snow tires and/or a winter car?

For what people spend on turbos you can just about go out and buy a cheap Ford Explorer. Go do that. You have nice cars, just go drop 4 grand on a beater and be done with it.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Trucks are some of the worst vehicles to drive around in the snow, even with snow tires.... If you don't sandbag the back, you have to remember where most of the weight is on a truck.

I promise you with snow tires you will be able to go 10 mph at least.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

I would never get inside a ford explorer again. Plus, I wanna have fun, and an explorer isnt going to cut that for me.

Those cars are in my yard, but those are my familys and not mine. Im still a student trying to make a few bucks to pay for everything.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If you can't afford the tires then maybe you shouldn't buy the car. I sold my snow tires to a local guy for $100 when I left Minnesota, I'm sure you could have found a similar deal before the snow fell and everyone is clamoring for tires.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Your parents probably have 4k cash in their damn wallets if they have a Maserati on their compound. Have them buy you a Subaru Outback or something, there's tons in the area. Just turn your sideways hat forward when you ask. They'll be so blown away by your growing up that they'll do it in an instant.

Then you can use it to pick up lesbians too, that's always fun. Except they'll be butch.

Quick Reply: My IX GSR + Snow = :(