Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

next mod?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
next mod?

hey guys...well i think i finally got the itch to buy cams...but wasnt really sure everything i needed to make everything run smoothly...my current mods are ams tbe, ams fmic, ams licp....i was thinking about going with gsc s1 mivec cams, ams head studs, gsc springs, boost controller, aem wideband....i have a ix mr with 32k on it...stock clutch is doing fine at the moment...i dont launch the car or beat on it like crazy...should i be planning on a new clutch with these mods?? thankksss
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you dont need a clutch until its slipping, your not making that much power
and the valve springs are over kill. gsc s1 are perfectly fine on stock valve springs
and head studs are over kill too
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you change the clutch when yours gives up

you'll need a tune with a cam change
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Get S2's and Beehive springs. Walbro pump, and a boost controller, then get it tuned for 25-26psi, and go for 360+whp. At least thats what I'd do.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

if you tune for 360+ you better have a nice exedy clutch lol
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by garcia10
hey guys...well i think i finally got the itch to buy cams...but wasnt really sure everything i needed to make everything run smoothly...my current mods are ams tbe, ams fmic, ams licp....i was thinking about going with gsc s1 mivec cams, ams head studs, gsc springs, boost controller, aem wideband....i have a ix mr with 32k on it...stock clutch is doing fine at the moment...i dont launch the car or beat on it like crazy...should i be planning on a new clutch with these mods?? thankksss
How much power are you making? If you get a boost controller and fuel pump you will make 370 on stock cams.....the stock cams on the evo 9 are perfect for stock turbo no need to dump cash.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mbc, wideband, injen intake and walbro 255...a decent tune on stock cams with mivec will see sufficient gains
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
if you tune for 360+ you better have a nice exedy clutch lol
ive seen cars well over 400wtq on stock clutches for long periods of time. no need to do a clutch until it slips. your just wasting your money at the moment
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DBallz
How much power are you making? If you get a boost controller and fuel pump you will make 370 on stock cams.....the stock cams on the evo 9 are perfect for stock turbo no need to dump cash.
370 on a high reading dyno maybe..
there are way better cams out there that provide a more usable powerband for the stock turbo. its not all about peak hp
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

ive never seen an evo or sti with a stock clutch able to handle 400whp, but obviously you would wait untill the old ones shot before you replace it
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

well then you havent seen much
also hp doesnt matter when it comes to clutches, its all about torque
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will enjoy the S1 cams. I agree with the others about headstuds and valve springs, you don't need them just yet, but since you are in there anyway it's good insurance for future power. A wideband should be one of the first things done with any other power mod.
If you are not driving it like it is stolen the stock clutch will hold up for a while. I was at 415/390 for a bit before I needed a new clutch. Took it to the dragstrip quite a few times, ran in the 11s and then clutch was done.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'd go for cams next, that's basically what I'm doing too. I've read S1's are great on the stock turbo, giving a good midrange improvement and additional top end. S2's may give up a little spool but have more top end than the S1's. I went with the S2 btw.

Ditch the wideband too unless your going to self-tune. I have one and never use it. Hell a tuner will turn the one in your car off and use the tailpipe one anyway Also ditch the head studs - wait till you take the head off for a larger build. And add a 255 fp like others said.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
370 on a high reading dyno maybe..
there are way better cams out there that provide a more usable powerband for the stock turbo. its not all about peak hp
Listen I'm not getting into the debate about high or low reading dynos. The 2 evo 9's which i watched being tune both made 370. One had stock IC and the other AMS, both had LICP, Fuel pump, intake, and a great tuner who knew what he was doing. The fact of the matter is I heard either on thhis forum that DynoJet is the US standard for chassis dyno. Cams on a evo 9 on stock turbo is over kill.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
I'd go for cams next, that's basically what I'm doing too. I've read S1's are great on the stock turbo, giving a good midrange improvement and additional top end. S2's may give up a little spool but have more top end than the S1's. I went with the S2 btw.

Ditch the wideband too unless your going to self-tune. I have one and never use it. Hell a tuner will turn the one in your car off and use the tailpipe one anyway Also ditch the head studs - wait till you take the head off for a larger build. And add a 255 fp like others said.
I like everything that this guy said. I, too have some s2 cams and I'm enjoying the better top end performance.