Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rough cost of rebuilding?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rough cost of rebuilding?

After spinning out a few days ago, I've been thinking what direction should I take the Evo. Either just replace the rear diff or just do an entire rebuild, including diffs, tc, tranny and engine. Haven't yet decided but I'm leaning towards getting a DD and making the Evo a project car.

My goal on the Evo before I ever depart with it is to hit 400WHP on either stock turbo or TME turbo along with it being very reliable. I'm thinking about sending the tranny, tc, and diff to sheptrans for them to build it and getting a nice clutch that's daily drivable. I want to keep the motor 2 liter so no stroker kits. I'm planning on building the motor myself and learning as I go. Maybe get as much things ported if possible on the part. I just want to know how much would it cost to do all this. Just a rough estimate from the guys that have built their cars before.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well since your doing it yourself and learning on the way, I would say it would cost you an ARM and a LEG for starters , GL on your build.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Well, here's the thing. I'm in no rush to build it. If it takes me over a year, then it takes me over a year. It's just a thought but of course, money is a huge factor. I just want to know the big price tag on this build before I start going into "heavy money saving" mode.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Start saving buddy it will never end.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned the car for a month now and I'm 9k in the hole and I haven't even touched the motor. The transmission and transfer case build alone from shep racing is going to be around $4k. Then the supporting mods like the new avid mounts, exedy twin disc, rear diff mounts, shifter bushings, SS clutch lines, throw out bearing, clutch fork stop, new trans/diff fluid, and brake fluid to bleed the clutch.

Not to mention new brakes all the way around, full-race manifold, misc. exterior mods. It's amazing how fast it adds up. And like I said, I've only owned the car a month. Also, I got lucky. The previous owner was a really cool guy and already had a TON of work put into it.

Also, not to be a negative nancy, but if you don't have an automotive background, I wouldn't try to build a motor your first time out. If you have someone that knows what they're doing to help you I don't see too much of an issue, but you're going to feel like you're walking on egg shells the entire time it's being built/installed/tuned. The anxiety level is unbelievable. The end result is SOOOOOOO worth it though.

I hope that helps. Whatever you do, post pics and results. Everybody loves those. Good luck and happy new years.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Start saving buddy it will never end.
Plus infinite.. one thing just leads to another, etc etc
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Its new years eve at 11:57p.m. and im at shop working on my evo. Once you start it never ends. But when you can say "I" built it, makes it all worth it!!!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:18 PM

How could you handle having your car down for a year, Mines not even together yet and I can't wait to drive it..... RUSH RUSH RUSH!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a built motor in general

Fully built head
-spring
-retainers
-angled port job
-polished
-redecked
-oring(is not really needed for your powerlevel)
1700+core for that right there

2.0 built block
-rods
-pistons
-crank
-etc
3000+core

did not include headstuds oem headgasket,Timing belt serpintine belt and since your doing a new motor you need to get new pullies front case. so your looking at around 5500 for just parts. install will cost more and i did not include the basic bolt on a build can get costly sheps tran tcase 4000 so i can get pricey
Old Jan 1, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you RockmanX. That's around what I'm calculating too just for the block. 400WHP would be great but it doesn't look like I'll hit it with my rough budget. Maybe 350 would be enough for stock internals as I don't plan on getting some crazy cams for the head. $4k for the drivetrain seems about right but I'll know it'll last for another 50k miles after it so it'll be worth it.

I've got a couple friends that built motors before but all of them built Hondas. Still, they know their way around an engine so I trust them to help me out.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol im not getting you here you can get 500whp off stock block the whp is not important its the TQ your making that blows motors. keep it below 420tq and your ok with stock block. you can buy another stock block for 1000-2000 if you want to go that route. personally if your orginal motor is crap i say replace with a built block and quite playing games thats what im doing lol.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Go with a built shortblock.. Keep things simple with the turbo like, some sort of FP turbo. Start buying little by little, what you can afford until you basically have all that you need.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:08 PM

Modding. So costly. My list is going to cost around 20k. That's without building engine internals and drivetrain. Except the clutch...

I feel crippled.