Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something I never tried

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:53 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Something I never tried

Lets say I take my IX and gently drive onto a ramp that has rollers on it. The front of the car goes up the ramp until it hits the rollers. Obviously the front wheels will just slip when they get on the rollers because there is no friction - will the rear wheels push the car up past the rollers or will it wait a second while it figures out "wait a minute, the front wheels arent grabbing" and hesitate.

I saw this video and this is when I thought of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, that is a really informative video. it probably safe to surmise that because of the transverse layout of the evo, and taking into consideration the unequal front axles we would suffer from torque steer under icey, climbing conditions lol.

the conditions of these experiments are rather extreme
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Its better to be extreme than not enough.

Very informative though. Now I can tell the SUV people to watch this and stop laughing at Subarus and Mitsubishis with "real" AWD.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Wicked test!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:56 AM

At least that helps prove how the system works.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:13 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't mitsubishi's system work backwards from the other systems that selectively power the non-slipping wheels only when a slip condition is detected.

I was under the impression that it operated like a truck in 4wd mode except when you go to steer, the system selectively unlocks the multiplate clutch pack in the active center diff to allow the wheels to spin at different speeds.

As such, there's no power to "send" anywhere because all 4 wheels are always powered. This would mean that in a straight line (such as that test above), the evo awd system wouldn't even need that momentary pause to "detect" the slip and send power to the rear since the power would already be there.

So you get the best of both worlds, the traction and stability of 4wd locked mode and having the computer manage variable states of unlock when cornering.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:25 AM

exactly what i was thinking but they did show 2 vehicles with all time awd which would be locked diff and both were transverse engines so idk
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
yeah evo's 4 wheels are always powered