Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo acting strange

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Evo acting strange

Every time I run thru the gears my engine revs like I spun a rear wheel drive car on a water puddle. It mostly happens with gears 3-5 but on occasion 2nd does this as well. Now this is with normal driving, no fast acceleration. I'll run thru first, engage the clutch, shift to 2nd, dis-engage the clutch, and accelerate normally, and most of the time it will act fine.
When I do this in gears 3-5 after I dis-engage the clutch and start to accelerate, the engine will rev about 1k rpms usually somewhere around 3k on the tach up to 4k, then come back down to around 3k and will accelerate normally until I shift to the next gear, which the same thing happens in the next gear.
This has been happening for about 2 months. I don't think its the clutch because I can be driving on the highway in 5th and slowly accelerate and the engine will rev as if I hit a water puddle or floored the throttle in an automatic car and then quickly let off. Anyone have any guess as to what could be the cause??
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like your clutch is fried
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds very much like a slipping clutch.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:18 AM

Exactly what I didnt want to hear. I wonder how bad it is and how much time I have until it goes boom.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Motors, diffs, and trannys go boom. Your clutch will just continue to get worse till it's no longer functional.

Get out your tools if you have a free weekend to replace/upgrade it, or get it to your mechanic
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Same thing happend to me, it was my clutch. Id fix it asap cause i went out to my car after it was only happening for a few days and the car wouldnt move an inch. But thats my personal experience maybe yours could be something different.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 07:44 AM

Well I just meant it would go boom in the figurative sense. I don't have the tools or the know how to replace a clutch, so looks like I have to find a decent mechanic and a good replacement clutch. I wish I lived closer to Kevin D's shop in Dallas, good prices there...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

i managed to pull 3k miles after my clutch started slipping.. not saying u can do the same, but u definately need to buy one and consider spending 600 bux labor or doing it yourself
Old Jan 2, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mexigun
Well I just meant it would go boom in the figurative sense. I don't have the tools or the know how to replace a clutch, so looks like I have to find a decent mechanic and a good replacement clutch. I wish I lived closer to Kevin D's shop in Dallas, good prices there...
Sounds like you could probably make it to Dallas from Houston, even with your slipping clutch. I've been thousands of miles on a slipping clutch, just don't drive it hard at all. But yea Kevin's prices are good, for both parts and labor.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 08:18 AM

Well looks like I'm gonna granny the car until income tax gets here then I've decided to upgrade to the Exedy stage 1 organic. Time to shop around and maybe by then I'll have decided where I'm taking the car for the job.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:06 AM

+1 on the exedy twin
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Yup, its the clutch, just make sure to search and follow up on reviews before you choose a crap clutch
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to buy your clutch ASAP before you get stuck in the middle of no where.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to repeat info.. but it definately sounds like the clutch
just dont beat on it until u get the new clutch, and then dont beat on it again until the clutch is broken in
Old Jan 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
goto mdr performance in houston to replace your clutch