Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

high speeds breaking evo 9 wings?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vortex generator flew off going 150+ in a mile event, it was the really expensive carbon fiber one($300). I almost cried when I saw saw how beat up it was, I tried to put it back on but it flew off on the highway the next day. So I bought an ebay $25 CF replica, better than the original. No problems with the wing though.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What can be done to fix this problem????? Can we fill the hollow center with something to strenghten it? Maybe some form of epoxy or great stuff foam of some sort....
Old Jan 5, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I'm surprised more people don't pay attention on these forums. This isn't the first thread I've seen about this in a little over a year of browsing the forums.

The last thread I saw was much more detailed. Started out the same, a guy talking about breaking his wing when he was going well over 100mph in his 9. Consider yourself lucky. The last guy actually destroyed his trunk when it broke.

The consensus of the thread was that the 9 wing is hollow and will break if you go fast enough. The 8 wing is solid carbon fiber and can withstand many times the abuse.

Use the search. You can also weaken the wing over time using it to close the trunk and hold beverages putting hairline cracks in it that later show when you go to fast. It made me want to put an 8 wing on my 9.
thnx for your opinion but ive talked to a crap load of people and everyone was flabergasted. if this was one of those "which cam should i get", or "whats this weird noise", then yes i would of searched like crazy.

and i did google it, and found nothing. most the time when i have a question befor even coming on this forum is google it,... and 9 times outa 10 google will come back with its 3 top results from this website. again, thnx for your opinion but no need to say search just cuz youve heard of this befor.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

done half a dozen trips up to 150 and no issues with mine
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:47 AM

Dang you guys are making me scared! I wonder if its a good idea to remove the stock vortex generator and reattach it with some stronger stuff? ive tried taking my spoiler off before but it seemed impossible to do with all of that double sided tape.....
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:03 AM

Hit 120 in my car. No problems with either the wing or the vortex generator.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
this has happened to me!
After it cracked, it would just completely bend down at around even 75mph!
when I took it to the dealer, they said it was vandalism. i bought a wing from an evo 8, no problems since.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Were the breakages on non-MR cars? I'm asking because the VG might be the difference. The VG cleans up the air at the back of the car helping clean, straight air hit the wing, rather than turbulence. The turbulent air from a non-MR car could weaken the carbon much easier/faster at speed as it would constantly flex the wing up and down. With the VG, you get more consistent downward pressure.

Just a theory ...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VIII's are real carbon fiber, IX's are plastic. Funny, I was talking to someone about this just this past weekend.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by compscibOi
VIII's are real carbon fiber, IX's are plastic. Funny, I was talking to someone about this just this past weekend.
^^^this

they had to find the money for mivec somewhere
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it will come off at 120, I go 120+ all day in the 1/4 and its held up fine for months now, just use the 3M tape provided and check it every so often so that the vortex generator is not off the roof to the point where wind can get under it.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
Is it really plastic? Can anyone confirm. I had heard that it was just a thinner hollow carbon with plastic sides. It doesn't really look like it breaks like plastic if you look at the pics.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The airfoil on the wing is carbon on the IX. The only "plastic" added was the uprights. The biggest difference is that the VIII wing uses a much sturdier airfoil where the IX's is thin and hollow.

The VIII's wing would never snap like the one pictured, but it's much heavier and has no aero advantage over the IX's wing ... I guess until in snaps in half. =)

I still say that the VG is the savior of the IX wings on the MR. Turbulent air causes stress, and the VG removes turbulent air from the wing.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

there is a local guy that hit 187mph (confirmed with GPS) and his Evo 9 wing snapped in half.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

I've been 100+ on numerous occasions and I've still got my wing on there. I even swapped it from the stock trunk to a carbon trunk and it's still hanging tough.

Perhaps the wing suffered some kind of a stress fracture earlier on and the wind at high speeds just snapped it. No idea other than that

Quick Reply: high speeds breaking evo 9 wings?!