Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

change it yourself or shops

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never did a clutch change in my X, I dont know if its harder or easier then the VIIIs were. Im lucky to where I am good friends with out mitsu mechanic. He can show me how to do it, but I will never pay $90 an hour to let a shop do it. I know in the 8's it was an 11hr rated job so basically $1000 in labor costs. plus parts. Its a very heartbreaking and wallet hurting thing to do.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:39 AM

ever though it is a PITA job i rather do it then for over 600 bux... money tight so i do all my own work and spend the money i saved on more mods...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Id pay a shop to do it right, if you f up your own install your gonna prob be paying even more to get it fixed plus a tow fee.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:46 PM

+1 on letting the shop do it, unless your garage looks like shop.........
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

In most cases it wont be worth it to DIY for something such as this unless you are confident you have the ability to DIY. Better off taking it to a shop where they have the things needed to properly do a job like this.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have pulled the trans on my dsm many many times. Is the evo really that much harder? Is it that hard to someone that has done other clutch jobs on many cars?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

If you know how it shouldnt be hard. But hey I like it when people pay me to do it!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

if you have the $800+ to have a shop do it (I would go to one that changes clutches on evos alot) then have them do it. I did mine and the hardest thing was getting the tranny out and then back in and lined up but now that I did it I would be a pro at doing it again.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im on this same question myself id like the spend that labor money elsewhere
but if i mess it up im gonna be pissed i didnt pay to have it done

im probally gonna pay to have it done the first time and watch the install and maybe try it myself when its time for a rebuild

same with the cam install
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

its not bad at all dude, unless youve have an aftermarket clutch alrdy and someone put the transfer case bolts back in with locktight(what happend in my case), had to take off the intake mani to get to the bolts with enough leverage. i did a tranny swap last month(same process)

if you have all the tools, 2 jack stands, 2 jacks(or 1 jack and 1 hoist), and a slide hammer, its not to bad of a job.

im also a DIY kinda guy and its a wizz with the slide hammer(THIS IS A MUST!{to get the shaft out that goes through the tranny into the TC}).

come down the florida, ill do it for 300-400 bucks. good 8-10 hours and a 12 pack later and waaalllaa! do it yourself!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:58 PM

clutch jobs are a pain take it to a knowledgable person
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

^^ wow did someone think the T-case was going to fall off?? and did you use an air gun?? and it would have been easier but I was able to get it out without the slide hammer
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:05 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is your DD and your not experienced , let someone else do it. It is not any harder than a fwd clutch job., with the addition of unbolting the transfercase. Everything is pretty easy to get to. IMO if I was paying someone else to do it, put a really good clutch in, ex. Exedy Twin disk. Even if you think this clutch is overkill, it is alot more streetable and last longer than most .

Last edited by kpr; Jan 5, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^ +1. It all depends on whether the car is your DD and how much time you have. If it is your DD and you need it to get to and from work, I'd trust it to a shop so that it's not out of commission for as long as it could be with a DIY job. We've all done jobs that we thought would be easy when we started.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:30 PM

1st post here. Anyway. It's a pretty big job to do at home. A lift would def make the job easier. I helped a friend of mine replace the clutch on a lift and I swore that I will just pay somebody. An engine brace is necessary to make the job easier if you have one to rent. Also consider alotting additional time for any mishaps and such. Also the costs for any additional tools you might need to purchase.