Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

change it yourself or shops

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where are you guys getting $450-600 quotes from
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
This is probably one of those "If you have to ask" questions.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PAdutch
DIY, unless you know of a shop that will take care of your car like you would.
+1 ^^^

I've met quite a few mechanics. 95% of them I would not trust to put a clutch in my evo.

It's a hard job. Don't even attempt it unless you consider yourself a competent mechanic in your own right. You're going to need a nice set of tools. That said it is doable. Having done it myself one thing that comes to mind is am I going to trust a guy that works by the hour to take the transmission back out again if he banged up the TOB retaining clip? He has to get done and on to the next job. If it works he'd rather not take that tranny back out. Me personally I want that clip to be perfect. It's going to be depended on at every shift. Nobody is going to take the time and care that you will with your car. Later when you drive off from the shop and 1,000 miles later your TOB pops out do you think the mechanic is going to fess up to it?

That guy early in the thread that said you can have the trans out and back in 2-3 hours made me laugh. Maybe if you've done it 2-3 times before, had at least 1 other guy, and you all drank a pot of coffee before you started the stopwatch.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can have my dsm tranny out and in in about 3 hrs.

I am getting ready to buy an 06 evo9. It currently has a ATP twin disc on it. I have heard the great things about the twin discs, but I dont know if I can take the sound for too long. If I decide to get rid of it, I am gonna try the clutch job myself.

I have pulled my 1g motor many times as well as other cars. I would think I would be intelligent enough to change the clutch out on an evo?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:27 PM

some really nice reply keep it coming
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Last year I did about 15 of these...
not a bad job at all with air tools, can be done, in and out, in less than 6-7 hours
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Never done it but from what I heard from the guy at the shop who installed my clutch a few years ago, he thought it was the same as the awd eclipse. boy was he wrong, but he got it installed anyways.
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I have pulled the trans on my dsm many many times. Is the evo really that much harder? Is it that hard to someone that has done other clutch jobs on many cars?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
evo is a pain in the *** compared to a dsm for clutch job. the 5spds weight like 130lbs and the 6 speed is like 160lbs. The fitment is so tight and you have to go in at just the right angle or you wont clear the rear trans mount/engine roll stop

other than the trans weight and tight fitment, its the same **** with control arms, axles, ball joints, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i've been a mechanic for 13 years and doing a clutch on your back is NO fun. if you can afford it, do some research and take it to a good shop. not only do they have the tools to do it with, the turnaround time is a day or two. and you will have a warranty. when my 60k came up, i looked for the parts online. the parts and fluids came out to $1000 parts only. and i would still have to spend a day or two for labor. works in cali charged me $1400 and was done in a day. diy is fine, but , if the shop is good, i don't mind putting money back into the auto community. i'm not saying i won't do my clutch on my back, but i would definately let a competent shop do it if the price is reasonable.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
i've been a mechanic for 13 years and doing a clutch on your back is NO fun. if you can afford it, do some research and take it to a good shop. not only do they have the tools to do it with, the turnaround time is a day or two. and you will have a warranty. when my 60k came up, i looked for the parts online. the parts and fluids came out to $1000 parts only. and i would still have to spend a day or two for labor. works in cali charged me $1400 and was done in a day. diy is fine, but , if the shop is good, i don't mind putting money back into the auto community. i'm not saying i won't do my clutch on my back, but i would definately let a competent shop do it if the price is reasonable.
$1400 for 60k is very high if it just consisted in timing belt job (all pulleys / tensioner + waterpump) and fluids... timing belt stuff only cost around $414 and fluids like $100

clutch jobs for evo's ussually cost around $650 for a evo 8.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
+1 ^^^

I've met quite a few mechanics. 95% of them I would not trust to put a clutch in my evo.

It's a hard job. Don't even attempt it unless you consider yourself a competent mechanic in your own right. You're going to need a nice set of tools. That said it is doable. Having done it myself one thing that comes to mind is am I going to trust a guy that works by the hour to take the transmission back out again if he banged up the TOB retaining clip? He has to get done and on to the next job. If it works he'd rather not take that tranny back out. Me personally I want that clip to be perfect. It's going to be depended on at every shift. Nobody is going to take the time and care that you will with your car. Later when you drive off from the shop and 1,000 miles later your TOB pops out do you think the mechanic is going to fess up to it?

That guy early in the thread that said you can have the trans out and back in 2-3 hours made me laugh. Maybe if you've done it 2-3 times before, had at least 1 other guy, and you all drank a pot of coffee before you started the stopwatch.
I don't agree with this, you don't need special tools.. infact the only thing you need thats special for the entire job is something to pull the input shaft out that goes through trans to tcase. You just need a full set of 1/2 drives and a nice tq wrench and you can get it done. trans can be pulled out in 2hrs or less... getting it back in is the hard part. 2 sets of tools from craftman and a good snapon tq wrench allowed me to completely redo my entire evo. motor, trans, tcase, blah blah.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i have the equpiment and the know how, then i'm doing it myself. I get a great sense of acheievement when I complete a task revolving around my evo. You look at it and you can say "It was a pain in the *** but I did it!"

NOw if you don't have access to a garage and some decent tools then I suggest handing it over to some pros.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

i went ahead and did it myself on my back and im half and half if i ever want to do it again.
if using a lift its not bad at all ..

on your back .. its hell.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would do it myself , saving the money
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I don't agree with this, you don't need special tools.. infact the only thing you need thats special for the entire job is something to pull the input shaft out that goes through trans to tcase. You just need a full set of 1/2 drives and a nice tq wrench and you can get it done. trans can be pulled out in 2hrs or less... getting it back in is the hard part. 2 sets of tools from craftman and a good snapon tq wrench allowed me to completely redo my entire evo. motor, trans, tcase, blah blah.
I just said a "nice" set of tools. You do need a good variety. A bunch of extensions help, a tranny jack, an engine hoist. A full torque wrench set, slide hammer, fairly large sockets in some areas bigger than would come with most socket sets, a few pry bars, air tools are almost a must as well. It's not like you can buy a socket set in a case from sears and have everything you need.

Those items just aren't in everyone's garage. That's all. I'm trying to describe it to someone who will be doing it for the first time like me. There's no reason to even attempt to get the tranny out in 2hrs doing it yourself the first time. Take your time. I'm glad it gets so much quicker with each time. I'm sure I could go twice as fast on the next clutch.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Jan 7, 2010 at 09:13 AM.