Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Debate on Gauges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't bother with a wideband gauge, just wire the LC-1 into your ECU for logging.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Widebands have always been trusted, why not get one?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Zeitronix
You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by Kracka
Don't bother with a wideband gauge, just wire the LC-1 into your ECU for logging.
I would still get one since I am running E85.

Originally Posted by Brsox10288
Widebands have always been trusted, why not get one?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you guys fully understood Kracka's comment. He's not telling you not to install a W/B. He's saying that you don't really need the actual gauge that displays the values, and to log the AFRs instead. FWIW, I agree. I have an AEM UEGO and I never really look at the gauge. Things happen too fast to note, and it helps to keep one's eyes on the road. The data comes from logging the W/B. HTH
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

The stock MR gauge pod does the trick, plus it plugs directly into the back of the radio, and you keep the stock look
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
I don't think you guys fully understood Kracka's comment. He's not telling you not to install a W/B. He's saying that you don't really need the actual gauge that displays the values, and to log the AFRs instead. FWIW, I agree. I have an AEM UEGO and I never really look at the gauge. Things happen too fast to note, and it helps to keep one's eyes on the road. The data comes from logging the W/B. HTH
Exactly.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Sooo.. this thread has gone off topic kinda
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brsox10288
Sooo.. this thread has gone off topic kinda
yes it has... I have prosport premiere 60mm gauges and tho i have heard that their not as accurate their inexpensive and look great and match the stock cluster pretty well
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

The big question is... Which gauges best match the factory dash lights? I'm looking forward to feedback from this as well. Soon I will be doing an HVAC relocation, and would like to color match everything.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

prosports look great at night, and i think that the color matches quite well. They aren't as easy read on sunny days.

As far as, "you get what you pay for is concerned". I would doubt that a $200 defi gauge is more accurate then a $40 prosport or autometer. What your paying for is the appearance.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rickyart23
yes it has... I have prosport premiere 60mm gauges and tho i have heard that their not as accurate their inexpensive and look great and match the stock cluster pretty well
have you had any problems with them?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted Defi because I felt they matched best with the evo but they are $$$$$$$
I noticed they came out with the 52mm racer series gauges which are cheaper and does not require the control unit. I went with the red racer gauges and I'm pretty happy with it, they match up great IMO with the interior. When I was getting tuned I noticed the gauge was off a little though, over 20 psi it reads 0.5-1 psi higher which I'm cool with. I'm tuned for 23.5psi but my defi reads 24psi which is still better than my autometer gauge. My autometer gauge was reading 2-2.5 psi higher and it did not match at all with the interior.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
I wanted Defi because I felt they matched best with the evo but they are $$$$$$$
I noticed they came out with the 52mm racer series gauges which are cheaper and does not require the control unit. I went with the red racer gauges and I'm pretty happy with it, they match up great IMO with the interior. When I was getting tuned I noticed the gauge was off a little though, over 20 psi it reads 0.5-1 psi higher which I'm cool with. I'm tuned for 23.5psi but my defi reads 24psi which is still better than my autometer gauge. My autometer gauge was reading 2-2.5 psi higher and it did not match at all with the interior.
Here's my take on the gauge question:

Defi = Looks great (Matches stock very well) but very $$$
Prosport = Looks good (Matches OK, but hard to see during the day) and cheaper
AEM = Don't match but good gauges
Autometer = Old school, cheap, reliable

As to the accuracy of gauges:
Personally I believe that the accuracy of the gauges isn't all THAT much of a problem (I will however make the exception with the wideband). My reasoning on this is that when you are doing tuning, you will be doing logs via whatever your tuning with (ECU, EMS, etc) and so you really aren't too concerned about what the gauges are telling you. So what are gauges actually for? Relativity. Perspective. Let me give some examples:
Whats the difference between 20PSI and 22PSI on your gauge? Very little as you haven't been tuning from the gauge but the actual readings. What you should be concerned with is what was it before and what is it now? The error factor in the gauge is corrected during the comparison.
The same could be said for Oil or Water temp. Does the actual temperature reading mean anything or should you be concerned with how different it is from normal operationg temperatures?
Gauges aren't an exact science, but are a trigger mechanism to let the driver/mechanic know that some deeper inspection might be necessary as to what is causing the change.
</soapbox>
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have 4 Defi Gauges and they all work just fine. Accurate and Nice looking too.