Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who warms up their cars bef....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your car is running better because it is near normal operating temps and not in open loop. You will increase the life of your engine if you allow it to warm up before driving it. A cold engine uses more fuel, hence your better fuel mileage after letting it warm up before you put a load on it.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

i warm my car up.. even in the summer. always until the temp gauge starts to move
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:50 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always let the car warm it. Always feels better.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't. No time to sit in the car for 3-5 minutes. I just shift at around 2200 till it warms up.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always warm up any car I have. Especially when its 0 or below out. All that oil is so thick, it cant be getting through everything like its meant to at first. I let it warm up for at least 10-15min before I go anywhere, when its this cold.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warm it up - always. I stay out of boost until the car has had a chance to fully warm up and the radiator has had a chance to cycle on at least once. Let's me know the car is fully warmed up and at full operating temps.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
In an ideal world it is better no matter where you are in the world and what season your in to let the car warm up for 2-5 minutes. I go to work at 5:30-5:45 in the morning but I have to be in to work no later then 6:07(after that I'm concidered late). My car sleeps in a garage so the cold doesn't get to her very much. I start my car give it 30 seconds before I pull her out of the garage. I get out close the garage get back in the car tune something on my ipod to listen to and I'm off. Now I live on a hill and to get to the highway it's all down hill. I stay out of boost and pretty much let gravity take the car down the hill by the time I get to the highway before I get on the highway the car is almost at full temp and I'm still cruising in vacum on the highway.....I may make 5lbs but that's about it. On my way home I'll sit in the car till my egt's get warm enough(about 2 mins). What I have found especially with my setup is not only is the tranny fluids still cold(getting into reverse and 1st sucks) but the car is very cranky if i start and go. The cylinder temp is still to cold and my fuel is cold the plugs aren't hot enough yet....the list goes on. The northeast has been very cold as of the last few weeks as the rest of the country so it's best to give any car at least 1-2 minutes to get warm before driving.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

I usually do not warm up, but drive at no load and no boost till the temp gauge reaches the mid-point. On really cold days, I'll let the car idle for about 30 secs to a minute then go. You can kind of tell by the engine noise and the feel of the car when it is ready to go, basically when things settle down a tad. I still drive at no load and no boost till the temp is at normal operating level.

This may be a good read for you: http://www.projo.com/projocars/conte...v4.4249b7.html
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well I have a built motor so i have to let it fully warm up or I have horrible piston slap and sounds like a knocking motor! Just let it warm up
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

As soon as my engine gets oil pressure, it's ready to be driven. Like 5 seconds after first starting. The best way to warm-up a car is to drive it.

If you are cold, then get a better jacket and some gloves.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I have to warm mine up. Alluminum Rods+E-85+2200cc injectors= HAVE TO! The aluminum rods have to warm up and swell up so the clearences are correct, and E-85 hates starting in the cold. As soon as it starts and stays running, it sounds sooo good with the big cams and the smell of alcohol lol
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I always let it warm up before i start driving it....Especially when its colder out. I dont daily drive it and in the winter it sits in the garage but everytime im gunna take it out i always let it warm up. I think Everyone should that.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
As soon as my engine gets oil pressure, it's ready to be driven. Like 5 seconds after first starting. The best way to warm-up a car is to drive it.

If you are cold, then get a better jacket and some gloves.
Generally speaking, this is accurate - warm up the drivetrain by driving lightly. Contrary to popular belief, this is also true with diesel. It takes my diesel SUV 20 mins to warm up its 13qts of oil beyond the 150 point and that's with the help of Webasto Blue heat.

Fortunately the Evo warms up much faster and fluid viscosity across the drivetrain normalizes in just a few minutes.

Notchy shifts are a product of the cold but you have to warm up your drivetrain sometime!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
1 min warmup and no boosting until the oil temp gauge starts moving.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:56 AM

Warm up FTW. If I must drive it cold, light RPM/load with no boost.

Quick Reply: Who warms up their cars bef....