Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driver's window works, others don't

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's window works, others don't

I went to my Evo IX this morning and found the windows other than the driver's window down about 1". I'm pretty sure I had left them all up the night before; it has been slightly chilly here in New England.

The car started normally and I found that the lowered windows don't move up or down (the driver's window works normally).
The non-functional windows don't even draw electrical current, when looking at the convenient voltage gauge in the MR gauge cluster. This tells me the window regulator motors aren't drawing current under a stalled condition. The functional driver's window's current draw can be seen as a slight voltage fluctuation in the voltage gauge when reaching a stalled condition, all the way up or down.

I tried pulling up the windows and they shift a fraction of an inch, but they don't stay there. I had hoped the mechanism would allow itself to be backdriven, but there's probably a worm gear in the actuator that makes it too difficult.

I thought it might be a fuse or window switch problem.
I ruled out the fuse because the manual says there's only one window regulator fuse. I checked the 30A fuse in the engine compartment, and it looks fine. I don't have a spare fuse to try. The fact that the driver's window works and the others don't seems to indicate the fuse is good. I can still try replacing it when I get to an Autozone later today, but I'm not very hopeful.
I ruled out the driver's door switch because the switches in the other three doors also do not operate the windows.

I don't think three window regulators will simultaneously go bad, so what the hell is going on? Is it a wiring or ECU problem?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yours windows are locked. If you lock your windows, only the divers window works.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, you're right. I can't believe I didn't check that stupid switch. I must've hit it accidentally. Call me a skxawng.
I don't like how the window lock switch deactivates the driver's window switches. It usually doesn't do that in other makes.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ru4real
Thanks, you're right. I can't believe I didn't check that stupid switch. I must've hit it accidentally. Call me a skxawng.
I don't like how the window lock switch deactivates the driver's window switches. It usually doesn't do that in other makes.
haha

at least it was simple