Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit: Read below sorry double post...

Last edited by eXtreme-Speed; Jan 12, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is nothing. Just wait until you start really modding the car. As others have said, you have to pay to play.

Also, the timing belt will cost you some nickels.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Evo can get pricey if you don't work on it yourself. I know 2 people that will ever get anywhere near my car with a wrench. And nobody will if I'm not there
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

OP, I am almost possitive your car was here in NJ at a POS road side dealership. The sides of the car had mitsu symbols and they got wider as it went down the side of the car. The steering wheel also looked like a piece of the black stuff was ripped off. They were sitting in the lot for almost a year and no one would buy them. I am pretty sure that they were auctioned off. If this is the car your gonna be stuck with a lot more bills probably.... Get back to me lol.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Im hoping that you didn't buy the car expecting this car to be maintance free or cheap to fix....
Its a street going race car and awd to boot..... this car is expensive to maintain and upkeep but the rewards of owning this car can be amazing....

wait until a brake caliper goes bad -

you replace the factory advan tires - $265 a piece

you paid $400 for a clutch - how about us guys who run an Exedy stage 2 at $1600.00 per clutch?!

You have spent $4k - I have spent $40k - LOL and there are many many many many people on this forum that have invested way more than that into their evo's... I say $4k your doing pretty good :-)

If you feel that the car is expensive to maintain and drive - you are 100% accurate but you didn't buy an evo as just a normal every day car... you bought it to beat the pissssss out of it like the rest of us did.

if your down to $500 and driving this car - you should consider getting out of it because between mods and maintance and gas and insurance - the EVO is not the cheapest car on the block but life and living is more important than a car.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Hotdog is correct. And yeah wait till you have to get the timing belt done. I bought mine and it had 47k miles on it. The first service had not been done yet so I took it to Mitsu and told them to go ahead and do the 60k service w timing belt. I had them get a guy to re spray my wheels cause they were chipped and scratched. Total on that was right at $2000. And they installed my rexspeed front lip for free when it came in a few days later So yeah they are not cheap cars to own.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

The only "maintenance" I see is the oil change and Transfercase/tranny and the fuse. Everything else looks like performance mods. The paint is iffy as you knew that to start with. I would have just done all that stuff myself but I'm a do-it yourselfer.. Thats what this forum os for, useful information on how to do it yourself etc.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

^^What they said!!

1. Educate yourself. You will save money knowing how to do maintenance yourself and what things to avoid doing that might cost you in the long run.

2. Evo's are expensive to own as all others have said but if you see #1 you can keep some cash in your pocket.

3. You bought an Evo that needed some attention. If you had, you guessed it, seen #1 you could have avoided this situation.

Bottom line is this forum is loaded with very knowledgeable people who spend time helping all of us make educated decisions about our cars. I have been on here for over four years, I have only been a member a little over three, I have less than a hundred posts even though I am on here almost everyday and I have had my IX for three years now and have only spent $4k. Most of which were mods. Thank you evom members for all the help!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:30 AM

yeah everyone will preach to u til they are blue in the face about how expensive they are to maintain anything worth having prolly will be.
i put 5k down on my car and just under 3500 into it in maintenance and problem solving in the first 3 months of ownership since then car runs like top.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:37 AM

if it makes you feel better my car has alot of money into it

$2,700 for when my car got keyed and mirrors ripped off
$15,800 for rear end damage.. insurance paid for most of that though
tranny work
two 2 clutches.. well one was new the first one was used and my friend ripped me off because he lied to me after he took it out of his evo
new exhaust because my old one got messed up in my accident
had to get one of my recaros fixed because someone burnt a hole in my seat
new turbo bc mine went kaboom, which im like 99% positive it was all messed up prior to me buying the car

haha still love the thing though <3
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well lets put it this way. You are doing what any GOOD evo owner would do, and that is to ensure the ride is taken care of. Paint job, if it was needed then so be it. All cars will need new paint jobs eventually, you got yours knocked out the way. Oil change and other fluid changes, its smart to do that, and you got yours taken care of. I dont think the turbo timer was necessary, but oh well. As far as the steering wheel, the car would have been fine with out a new one. But now you have a new one lol. Clutch and tranny, be glad you didnt have to purchase a new tranny on your own. Lucky the dealer covered that one. Clutch, is good to have a new one. The Evolution is indeed a money pit, but what car isnt. It costs to maintain, and it costs to maintain it the right way. It is an investment, so take pride in it.

I have dumped *** loads in my evo for maint. also. I will continue to do so. I am due for my 30k tune up, which will cost me close to 350 4 hundred marker, tires are now new, brakes are now new, and so forth. Your just a good owner by taking care of your stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:47 AM

Man sometimes i don't do my homework but the OP was way off the mark. Hopefully you notice many things that you can modify/repair/maintain yourself - And to beat a dead horse, do your own fluid changes, no sense in paying someone assloads of money for something you can easily do.

But if you have to pay someone come to chicago, i'll flush your coolant lines for $95 .
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

from what i saw it looked like you were basically paying eveyone to do your work. $65 for an oil change? And turbo timers are usually plug and play i wouldnt pay anyone to install that.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:05 AM
Account Disabled

Full Paint Job: $2,750 (put on credit card...doing monthly payments)
New Megan Racing TBE: $400 (The stock exhaust was bent and needed to be replaced)
Steering Wheel + Install: $73 (The one on it was destroyed by the sun rays)
Turbo Timer + Install: $175

Oil Change: $65
Transmission/Transfer Case/Rear Diff Fluids + Install: $300
rear defroster fuse

all of these to me do not seem like "maintenance" worthy costs. Was the paint so crappy it "needed" to be fixed or was it a personal preference?. also exhaust, was it effecting performance? most people upgrade the exhaust anyway thats more of a mod. steering wheel seems like a "want" to have a nice looking one more than a need also turbo timer is more of a modification/accessory a lot of people do not run them. The only real maintenance you've listed are oil and fluid changes and the fuse, which comes standard with any car maintenance, not just an evo. Also why not do work yourself? it will save you a lot of bucks in the long run, and most are very simple.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by josel_atr
hotdog is right.

OP - we are pretty much in the same boat. 05 evo. i imported mine from oregon so i paid without even a test drive. having said that, i didnt know my clutch was slipping till few weeks later of owning it. i bought a third party warrantee that the dealer offered for 1800CAD but im sure as hell thats not going to cover the clutch job.

to date, maintenance wise, i spent:

- clutch - 420 for exedy stage one, 375 install
- 30k maintenance - 384 cad labour, 160 parts and fluids
- winter tires - 375 used

i did a few mods that are DIY. some of the maintenance stuff are super easy too so that is DIY as well... i mean i wasnt going to pay the dealer $$$ to change the air filter cabin. i did it for like five minutes... :P

also, use this forum as a reference. it is heathly with helpful information especially for new evo owners...
I'm curious what you did for 30k maintenance that cost you 500$.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?