Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought an Evo IV.. what to do??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an Evo IV.. what to do??

I have been dealing with DSM's for a few years now... I currently live in Japan, Tokyo baby!! I picked up an Evo IV for a great deal... It's stock except for intake/exhaust.. I am curious if I can build it up and throught it into an 1G/2G if I was to bring the engine back to the states.... Some one told me to through it into a Mirage...

I just trying to see what people think.. Any ideas where to start?!! anyone?

Oh, I am going to make it a Rally car by the way....
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

get some gsc s2 and throw in a bbk turbo....
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:25 AM

The mirage is the same frame and body of that model evo. There are several build threads on here and they have lots of info and pics. most of them are building evo VI but same basic concept and roughly same amount of work.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kornkuu
The mirage is the same frame and body of that model evo. There are several build threads on here and they have lots of info and pics. most of them are building evo VI but same basic concept and roughly same amount of work.
Do you happen to know i I can just put it into a 1G/2G or something else beside Mirage?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:55 AM

Keep in mind the EVO IV Engine has very weak pistons more than 300HP is pushing the limit on these things. Plus the ECU can not be remaped as opposing to the EVO V and later! Why not keep the IV?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:09 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep it as close to stock as you can. It takes a decipline person to not got wild on modding!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Keep it as close to stock as you can. It takes a decipline person to not got wild on modding!
lol.. I can't go from a 480 horsepower car to 250.... j/k... I want to build it up and perhaps take it back to states..the engine I mean..

Last edited by gmore84; Jan 14, 2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: correction.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4age
Keep in mind the EVO IV Engine has very weak pistons more than 300HP is pushing the limit on these things. Plus the ECU can not be remaped as opposing to the EVO V and later! Why not keep the IV?
\

So I can't reflash it or AFC it??
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gmore84
I have been dealing with DSM's for a few years now... I currently live in Japan, Tokyo baby!! I picked up an Evo IV for a great deal... It's stock except for intake/exhaust.. I am curious if I can build it up and throught it into an 1G/2G if I was to bring the engine back to the states.... Some one told me to through it into a Mirage...

You can start by shipping it here and selling it to me lol.

what do you mean turn it into 1g/2g?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4age
dont know how these rumors start. prolly poor tuning leading to failures. lets blame it on the parts..
evo 4 pistons and rods are identical to evo 8. I have compared them with my own eyes. the older 1993 4g63 has been pushed to 650whp on stock internals. why on earth would you believe mitsubishi decided tio install weak parts in the 4 only???

stop the madness
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by gmore84

dont ruin the car by making it a rally car! thats nuts. leave it as is and bring it to the states whole. very desirable, very rare car here.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

NO the evo IV engine does not fit on dsm 1g/2g engine bay because just like evo 5-9 the engine is flipped 180 degrees (and you should know that since you owned dsm's before). The only engine that has been campatible with the 4g63 dsm engines is the evo 3, hint evo3 16g turbo that all dsm'ers use.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:44 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
dont ruin the car by making it a rally car! thats nuts. leave it as is and bring it to the states whole. very desirable, very rare car here.
I agree. You can do minor mods like exhaust and intake, etc., but I wouldn't go crazy with it. I have a friend with a 7 in Philly, and he has kept it very clean. Minor mods that didn't take anything away from it.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
lol.. i am not going to spend that much money on the car.. my car I am looking to bring back is a 86 Trueno.. lol..
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:10 AM

Good find! I was looking at a Evo and a Eunos Roadster to bring back while I was there. Good Luck on the Yoko-Yoko!!!!

Quick Reply: Just bought an Evo IV.. what to do??