Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am running a fp red with maf if i switch my stock ecu ovet to speed density will it

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running a fp red with maf if i switch my stock ecu ovet to speed density will it

I am running a fp red with maf. if i convert my stock ecu to work as a speed sensity setup will i gain significant power?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:29 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The benefits of speed density over maf are:
- You can run a nice tial BOV
- You can run a larger intake pipe with larger turbos
- Your car won't stall out if you blow an intercooler hose off

I know they have made crazy power on the stock maf, but if it's not that much of a pain to switch then do it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had this conversation with English Racing they said about 10whp on a stock turbo when switching to SD and it goes up from there. Maybe 15whp from a BBK and 20whp on a Red I would like to guestimate?? Aaron feel free to correct me if I be lying

It is a lot nicer just to put around though, big difference especially when cruising on the freeway.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I see, the gains are small. Drivability is improved according to a few I have spoken / read on this very forum and others. Instead of metered air before the air is compressed, the pressure is measured at the manifold after the air is compressed. It seems like a better method IMO.

It's something I'd like to do down the line. It's best to get feedback from tuners and Evo owners who have done the switch.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
From what I see, the gains are small. Drivability is improved according to a few I have spoken / read on this very forum and others. Instead of metered air before the air is compressed, the pressure is measured at the manifold after the air is compressed. It seems like a better method IMO.

It's something I'd like to do down the line. It's best to get feedback from tuners and Evo owners who have done the switch.
gains will vary per turbo but you can gain upwards of 20-30 whp on average of a maf based stock frame turbo'd car

search for a tuner in your area doing speed density conversions...and search the ecuflash section for more information about speed density

search

closed...