Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whistle Noise 70mph+?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistle Noise 70mph+?

I am still trying to diagnose this problem. It is like a little whistle that only occurs when I'm at this speed coming from what it sounds like the right side? I have nailed it down to it being 3 things: The side of the front bumper is missing a couple of those pins that hold it together so it could be that. Or it could possibly be the brakes? Just weird why it would only give out the warning of wear only at that speed. Lastly sometimes I think its my HKS SSQV. That thing has been nothing but great to me and love it even though there are alot of negative sayings about it on this board.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or could be transfer case whine.....
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:26 PM

its an evo, they make all sorts of great noises haha
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoracingstar
+1

When I had a strange whistle that suddenly cropped up at 70 mph it turned out to be my transfercase.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

My undertray would always whistle on the highway...mainly because it got shredded up at auto-x events. So I ripped it off and no more whistling

In all honestly, it could be anything. It sounds like it's just wind noise...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

If u can't tell between gear whistle and wind whistle, u need a hearing aid seriously though we'd need more info .... It could be anything
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoracingstar
+2. been reading deep on transfer case problems on 03's-05's
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

oh i know all about it man... i used to own a 03 evo 8.. they have the worse t case!! one day i was driving n all of a sudden i start hearing a whine noise.. i was like wtf is that.. then adventualy it got louder n louder. then i had to replace it.. thats nv fun bc t case r not cheap! but then i just ended up getting rid of that evo n bought a new 06 evo good luck with the problem if u can try to make a video of the noise if its loud of enough im sure we could figure it out
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If its not RPM related then its wind noise coming from either a broken undertray or your front bumper missing mounting pins.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kracka
if its not rpm related then its wind noise coming from either a broken undertray or your front bumper missing mounting pins.
+1
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
If its not RPM related then its wind noise coming from either a broken undertray or your front bumper missing mounting pins.
Well I've got a whistle at around 60 as well and it does get louder the faster I go. I'm thinking its the tcase, but I also did just lose my lip and the noise started around the same time. If I were to free rev the engine at this speed the sound doesn't get louder though.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Could be your xfer case or wind noise then. What do you mean you lost your lip? If you're referring to your front bumper lip and it started at the same time as the noise then you've got your answer. A wind noise whistle or howl is far different from the xfer case mechanical whine. If you don't know how to tell the different find a competent mechanic to ride along with you.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:46 PM

The only way I can describe it is as if you were whistling very lightly. Doesn't sound mechanical to me. And it does not increase in sound as the RPMs rise so I really hope it is not the transfer case.

An 05 EVO with only 34k and the transfer out already! I hope not

I will pick up some of those pins from Napa Autoparts soon and see if the little whistle goes away.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Well I've got a whistle at around 60 as well and it does get louder the faster I go. I'm thinking its the tcase, but I also did just lose my lip and the noise started around the same time. If I were to free rev the engine at this speed the sound doesn't get louder though.
if u had a bad t case even if u free rev ur engine with out ur car movin u wouldnt hear it u have to be moving.. here a video of t case wine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdlocDJpfsI
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

The Transfer Case is the first thing that jumped into my head when I say thiss thread.

Quick Reply: Whistle Noise 70mph+?