Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

LICP install , do you have to take the bumper off??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:16 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easier to take off the bumper and install it right , than trying to fix a hose blowing off on the side of the road!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest way is to take the bumper off
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

the undertray is very flexible even without removal. you can easily nudge the undertray alittle down if you want more space. after bumper is off, you have plenty of space to install the LICP easily.... you have full access to both turbo and FMIC then.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
+1 the only reason why I would take the bumper and everything off is to ensure the t-bolt clamps are put on in such a way that you can later get at them from just peaking your head underneath the bumper. In other words, do it right the first time, then if you have to tighten them later you don't have to take the bumper off.
+1
make sure the bolts are in a way installed that you can tighten them even with the bumper installed, if not you have to remove the bumper again.
Gl
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

unfortunately some people are all thumbs or have hands the size of his head.. then you need both undertray and bumper off
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
lem

you don't have to. the hardest part for me was the upper bolt that holds the stock licp. if you dont take the bumper off, just partially take/move the undertray out of the way but you might want to get a ratchet type open wrench coz that upper bolt was pita to take off from under the car. i had to tape two open wrench together just to be able to reach it, turning it a little at a time. lol
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

definitely take it off.

if you do not have jacks to put the car up, buy a mini screw driver that can fit under the car on the ground to unscrew the under tray screws.

it is highly advisable to take it off because you need to check for boost leaks after the install.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

didnt take mine off, but then again i said F*** it and cut the damn brackets with a wheel. took me like 10 minutes to do mine....on a lift
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just installed the ETS LICP without removing the bumper (undertray was already off). It would have been a lot easier with the bumper off., but I was able to do it without too much cursing. The biggest pain is loosening the mounting screw for the LICP bracket that's closest to the intercooler. The screw can only be reached with a box/open end wrench. The mounting screw for the other bracket can be accessed easily if you move the coolant overflow tank. Coupler/clamp adjustment would have been much easier with the bumper off too.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

it would probably take about an hour or so and it would be easier if you take the bumper off.

mario
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Think im going to take my bumper off again to yank my crash bar
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oneofakindtrini
Come down to long island and let Top Level Performance Do the "punisher" package for you.
What is the punisher package?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Just take the bumper off. I took my bumper off a few days ago to install my ets intercooler. I honestly thought it was a pain in the butt because of the under tray. It took me forever to get the screws out. They would turn but would not come out. I ended up ripping the freaking thing off, pried screws out, but it got done and I no longer use the under tray. Now when I install my piping, it will be a peace of cake.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

When I did my ets licp my underbody panel was already off and it already had some aftermarket licp that didnt use the bracket mount. I had a lift available and did it during my 30 min lunch break. the plastic panel screws are a pain sometimes and its almost just as easy to remove the front bumper.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ohEVO18
didnt take mine off, but then again i said F*** it and cut the damn brackets with a wheel. took me like 10 minutes to do mine....on a lift
if you cut it off near the ic pipe you can easily weld a bracket now.

Quick Reply: LICP install , do you have to take the bumper off??