Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo died...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo died...

...for all that I know.

before getting started here, I have been having some issues with the mysterious "electrical gremlins" - had a bunch of corrosion on the junction block under the driver kick panel. These havent been completely corrected (was scheduled to rip apart and do this on Thursday) but the car has been drive-able for the last week or so.

Yesterday afternoon, In the rain no less, I was out driving when the car just quit - almost as if I had just turned the key off. There was no shudder or anything of the sort, just quit. Now, I was on the way to get fuel, as the light was on, and as silly as that may seem, I am fairly spot on with how much is in the tank when the light is on - I always try to run it as low as possible, and there should have been plenty in there...more on that later.

I coasted to a stop on the side of the road, and in the end had the thing flat bedded back home (not far, like 10 miles). While on the side of the road, and even while its been back here, I have tried cranking it and its cranking fine, just wont turn over. I did try to put 3 gallons of fuel in it, as when I checked it this morning, the needle was buried. Tried again to start it and no luck. Again, it does crank normal, just doesnt turn over. There doesnt seem to be anything (sounds, feel, etc. ) abnormal, other than the fact that it just wont crank, obviously.

The only other time that I have EVER experienced something similar in a different car, was with my wife's 2003 Mustang, in which the alternator died, and the car just up and shut the hell off while driving down I-75 (thats another rant that I will refrain from here lol).

Is there anyone that could give me some insight as to where to start the problem solving, or that has experienced this before?

Car is 2003, 112,xxx miles. I have NOT changed the belt etc. , but the gentleman that I bought this car from a couple of years back DID have these changed at around 50,xxx miles due to some other work that was done on the car (not related)

Many thanks in advance, of course..

Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
whats wrong with electrical? - fix electrical problems, check fuses, check if fuel pump kicks. Evo is stock ?

Last edited by tweakdsm; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

yeah havent touched it...

only "mods" aside from clutch suspension and bushings are TBE, and MBC, LICP

Last edited by ohEVO18; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:05 AM

mite be a fuse
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:22 AM

Have you checked all of the fuses, even the ones under the hood?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
do you hear your fuel pump?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:27 AM

remember mate that your fuel pump is liquid cooled and so constantly running it low shortens the life span. Ive seen something similar and with your symptoms it all kinda points to lack of fuel.

shuts off no shudder. like a fuel cut
cranking fine but no tumbling, again no fuel

im guessing the fuel pump quit on you.

I hope this fix is both quick and cheap for you.

dan
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I diagnoise like this...check spark, if spark is there, I check fuel, usually one of the other and trace my way back from there. With fuel, if there's no pressure, obviously check fuses, and fuses look good, check relay, it's very easy to bypass it, hope this helps a bit....
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys....still trying to calm down about this so im not thinking too clearly lmao...

I'm just reading things anywhere from a fuse all the way to guys having jumped the timing....getting me worried...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Start with the simple things such as fuses and/or disconnected connectors and wires. You can check your plugs and their condition while you're under the hood as well and if all is good there I would check the fuel pump as some have stated because they are in fact cooled by the fuel in the fuel tank so by running the tank all of the way to empty constantly, you run a higher risk of seizing the pump.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

yeah, running your car low on fuel constantly is a bad idea btw
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You need to address the connections at the junction block and hard solder all together. This in itself can be the reason for your car dying and not starting. Get this fixed first then check all your fuses if you still have an issue

Heck when this happened to my car it would shut off a one point and eventually would not start either
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i agree, running car with needle burried, is bad for fuel pump because it gets hot, well im with 90k on my wallbro still ok lol
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I know that I need to address the junction box, I just thought I could get by till Thursday when I could get it in a dry garage with some heat lol. Never thought about running it low would seize the pump - epic FAIL on my part. I am hoping that the fuel pump is the issue, been wanting to drop a Walbro in anyways so this will clear it with the wife

Im not that good with diagnosing and etc...I can turn a wrench, but damn this sucks...cant really take it anywhere now since im "between jobs" at the moment...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

fuel pump is easy...turn the key to on

do you hear it?

if not, it's dead or a fuse is bad

Quick Reply: Evo died...