Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying an Evo dealer insists it is an MR but I don't think so

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010 | 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Heres why it's not a MR.

No vortex genarator.
Different center consle.
No BBS.
SSL interior.
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah defenitely a GSR with the SSL package..i should i know i have one

But i stay away from that one, its has some mods, and notice how the bumper doesnt line up with the hood and headlight on right hand side.

priced to high, modded, and high mileage for 21k? this should be selling for around 17k
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I wouldn't pay 20k for that car. For a few thousand more I'd sell you my MR with 28k miles : )
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:15 PM

Yes I could have spent money on a carfaxor I could have just asked the Evo community which is more fun.

They are adjusting the price accordingly so we'll see if it ends up working out I'll be a proud owner of an Evo. Thanks guys

I got them down to 18 with them thinking it was an MR. we'll see what I can do

Last edited by Phill; Jan 26, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sir-eth
Definetely not an MR. First off it is a 5 speed. No need to do any more digging. All MRs are 6 speeds. If you do want more features, here are a few...

Bilstein suspension.
Vortex generators on roof.
MR wheels.
Zero lift package (Plastic undertray under engine with brake cooling ducts)
Correct no 6 speed no MR
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Print this and tell their manager to hire you instead because their salesman don't know anything about cars
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

take someone that knows evos and get them to check for some stuff or test drive the car to make sure it feels like an evo should. that is alot of miles and has mods, its fine to buy as long as someone looks at it with you. someone told me a way to check tranny and stuff is to put the car in gear while off and get out and try to push the car (it shoudlnt move much if not at all). Also make sure water pump, balance and timing belts have been done. they should be done 60-70k miles...and cost alot to have done, so make sure its been done before you pay some bs price for the car. Good luck, and remmeber if this doesnt work out that you will find soemthing. its worth waiting for something good
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

car also has upgraded front mount intercooler. look at the pipes/couplars and try and get an idea who makes it. Check for a manual boostcontroller under the hood. watch out for boost being set real high. some people like to dog thier cars right before they get rid of them.
Im not trying to discourage you, i just dont want your evo expreiance to be bad.
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Dealer is a dumbass! You should print out the evo MR specs and features and point out every single one their car does not have. Also print this out, http://ezinearticles.com/?Auto-VIN-D...ean?&id=154097 , and show them that the VIN number has nothing to do with the version of a car. They are idiots and should be ashamed of themselves! Don't buy that car unless they sell it for 15,000 or less!
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:32 PM

Right, I've been looking for cars around 60k miles so the Major service would have been done, I am actually talking to the service manager about a job :P I know two guys with 03 Evos in town and i'll have them roll up with me next time I check it out. Only reason I wanted to make sure with this one is that it is about 2 miles from where I am currently living. Either this or texas will be where I get mine haha. Hopefully I can leave the world of FWD DSM's soon
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, well I wish you luck and please keep us updated with what they say about the car.
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:36 PM

I noticed the intercooler, It also has ome gauges, a turbo timer and an HKS filter. Thats all that I saw, no boost controller, stock BOV, and he didn't know what clutch was in it. I can't drive it because they have to swap breaks for "saftey reasons" I'll hopefully be able to have my buddy mike with a yellow 03 with 272 cams, caged, twin disk, blah blah blah and whatever help me out
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 05:37 PM

dumbass dealer salesmen
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

It may not be the salespersons fault. The requirements to be a salesperson are woefully meager at best. The best car salespeople are the ones that actually make it a point to know what they are selling.

That car could've came in on a trade and in order to give that trader the most for the money to complete their sale they might have put down its an MR just so the trade would have a little more money in it (esp. if the guy was upside down). After that no one really really cars they just want to move the unit off their lot for a certain amount above what they paid.

Either way sounds like you avoided being screwed. Imagine if you didn't have a clue........thats what gives dealers a bad name.
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

its got a flat non MR roof. (yes the whole roof is different)

Quick Reply: Buying an Evo dealer insists it is an MR but I don't think so