Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Black Headliner???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i have seen some ppl do the sued headliner and it look good thats the only way i would go if you do black out the interior
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have to make sure the visors are done right tho or it will look retarded!
heres mine i did

Last edited by 4g63smokinall4s; Feb 3, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

if youre in NC...you can buy mine
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

I love my sueded black interior. Hard to get the material not to bubble up though in certain parts.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 09:24 PM

how much does a suede liner usually run??
I was going to just use fabric paint..
Old Feb 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

depends on what shop but from what i got quoted with material $650 with visors extra

Last edited by chaotichoax; Feb 3, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g63smokinall4s
depends on what shop but from what i got quoted with material $650 with visors extra
Is that the material and having THEM do it? I would love to have this done, but well I'll be honest with myself, I'll **** it all kinds of up
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
On a summer day it gets very hot between the roof and headliner. When replacing the fabric you need to use special glue or it will release when hot. In other words, this is a job for a professional shop.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Just got mine finished and installed, heres the pics for your viewing pleasures!

I sueded headliner, b and c pillars.

Flocked the tri gauge a pillar and passanger a pillar to match. In real life it looks much better than the pics...the match looks much better, the flash really brought out the different shades of the flocking vs the suede.

painted the visors, clips, sunglasses holder, dope light, o **** handles. Will rock them till it chips and then dye them. Maybe will suede the visors later.

Take note that now its so black (and dark inside the car), you can hardly tell the color difference between the suede and the painted surfaces.

Am working on a solution to dye the seatbeld hardware, just have not gotten down to doing it yet.

Will be working on a three piece sueded tri gauge custom a pillar as the flocking looks good, but not as good as matching suede will in the future. Will then suede passanger a pillar as well.

Let me know what you think

PS - suede smells great

Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

how much did something like that run you?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

I used fabric paint over 2 years ago and came out great. Everytime someone else that has an Evo gets in mine they trip out. Ill see if i have some pix anywhere.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

well, i have an extra headliner.... so i could see if the paint works out... if not, then i could try the fabric. :-D
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

does anybody know what the headliner is actually made of? and did you guys use a paint or a dye?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vetboss
Just got mine finished and installed, heres the pics for your viewing pleasures!
No offense, but I think the pillars would've looked better simply matched to the dash. Not to mention is must've been a pain to get it around those bends on the A-pillar gauge cups! The headliner looks great. I'm considering giving this a shot this spring/summer.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:08 PM

I re did my headliner and visors on the saturn that I had because It was all sagging and comming off...wish I had pix but the whole thing cost me less than 10 bucks. Looked amazing, exactly like a brand new headliner from the dealer. All I did was goto walmart and bought a few feet of the heavy cloth like material that matched the material of the headliner. Then took down the headliner, ripped off all the old stuff sanded down the particle board and cut the cloth to size. At first I used spray ahesive but it didn't hold the cloth too well because it was summer time and the heat in the car melted the ahesive. So I went to home depot and bought a gel looking glue for counter tops and used that it held up amazing for the headliner. As for the visors just cut out the shape of the visors and again used the glue and sewed the visors at the seams. All in all looked perfect, everyone loved the job and It was only $10 so if you wanted to save lots of money go with that route its very simple didn't take that long either.

Quick Reply: Black Headliner???