Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Purchased a part b/c the company sponsors a car?
YES
25.93%
NO
74.07%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Buy parts because of a sponsorship?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Buy parts because of a sponsorship?

This is just something I've been wondering about so I figured I'd ask the rest of you guys.

Have you ever purchased a part from a company because they sponsor a race car which either features that certain part or has their name on the car somewhere?

I know I personally have not, but I figured people obviously must do it since so many companies spend a lot of money to get their name and parts featured on certain cars.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it certainly helps, but are you talking about shop cars or customer cars that are sponsored? Plenty of people bought bushcur products based on the performance of the OKIX car.

Whats the end game here? What are you really trying to figure out?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kracka
This is just something I've been wondering about so I figured I'd ask the rest of you guys.

Have you ever purchased a part from a company because they sponsor a race car which either features that certain part or has their name on the car somewhere?

I know I personally have not, but I figured people obviously must do it since so many companies spend a lot of money to get their name and parts featured on certain cars.
I try to make purchases for companies that sponsors friends of mine. With out the help of there sponsors they would not be able to race at that level. I don't really let this effect my parts purchasing but it does change my buying habits in other facets of my life.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
in a way i do. Like i wont buy parts just because joe blow has those parts but i would buy the parts because joes car performs great with those parts installed. I like to see what kind of power or looks people car make and then choose my parts off of that. I wont go and buy a ebay turbo kit without some people first buying them and testing them and proving that they are good parts. I dont have a ebay turbo just to let you guys know. Its more like reading peoples reviews and proving that the parts work before i buy them if it makes any sense
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
I think it certainly helps, but are you talking about shop cars or customer cars that are sponsored?

What are you really trying to figure out?
Both shop cars and sponsored customer cars. I'm really not trying to figure out anything nor do I have a secret agenda. My curiosity is as simple as the question I asked.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not every car runs what their sponsor sells too!
It may be worth while for a company starting out to get their name out?
If a car won consistently, I can imagine people looking into the names scribed on the car.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

One place I have really noticed sponsorships working is oil companies on top-level race cars (the late CART, NASCAR, F1, etc.).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I DID!! Since the wife at the time, drove my car as well, I thought I would show support for some of her "Sponsored goods." She had to pull alot of strings to get this sponsor!! LOL. I actually put ithat sticker on my car the day before it was in the World of Wheels Carshow, just to see who actually reads the stickers on the car anyway, because surely if they read the others, they would chuckle when they got to the last one on the list... LOL. Funny expierement.

But yes, I have the parts listed on the door, and I am a loyal fan, and will get those products again, as I liked them that much.

Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
I do not buy parts cause it was on a paticular car. But i do buy parts i know that work. I buy the best available parts that make the most bang for the buck.. With that said I do not look for a sponsership nor have i ever, but its really a shame , I have spent a decent amount with a company in the past few years and i have not been asked or even bent over backwards for..
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

If you ask, they may give you a break on the price of the parts you get. I got my work done on my car for free, and parts at their cost. for adding the family Mitsubishi sticker on my car. It should be something you ask. If you ask for a 'Limited sponsorship', that means you get stuff at a discount from them, and they ask you to promote them. sticker on the car?? I did the same with my coilovers, so you can get it done. I got nothing from Vishnu for doing this sticker, but I liked him, and his product at the time. so this would be a BAD example of "Promotion" if they see this coming down the road on a Roll-back. I don't know the tow truck driver, but his company did. All I have to say, was Blue evo needs yet again, another tow, and they knew right were to get it. Cocky little tow truck driver waving at me, was a cute touch.. lol

Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats on a car and whats in a car aren't always the same. I typically buy parts that are proven. Sometimes those parts happen to have been on a race car in which case yes i will consider that part. I personally like empirical data to support anything i buy. That said, data or not nothing is a definite on return on investment.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
I shouldnt have to ask, the owner should be saying in his head" hey this guy spends alot with us " we should take care of him" ... I guess im not a good ole boy..

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
If you ask, they may give you a break on the price of the parts you get. I got my work done on my car for free, and parts at their cost. for adding the family Mitsubishi sticker on my car. It should be something you ask. If you ask for a 'Limited sponsorship', that means you get stuff at a discount from them, and they ask you to promote them. sticker on the car?? I did the same with my coilovers, so you can get it done. I got nothing from Vishnu for doing this sticker, but I liked him, and his product at the time. so this would be a BAD example of "Promotion" if they see this coming down the road on a Roll-back. I don't know the tow truck driver, but his company did. All I have to say, was Blue evo needs yet again, another tow, and they knew right were to get it. Cocky little tow truck driver waving at me, was a cute touch.. lol

Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I buy what I see others have had success with for the most part

as far as if two vendor have the same thing and the same price

I'll buy based on the customer service I'm given
I do also try and buy from site sponsors as their funding helps make this site possible
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

If they know that you spend alot of money with them, use that as some leverage point. I think anyone can get a discount if they spend alot, and do some marketing for them. Just some ideas.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
I buy what I see others have had success with for the most part

as far as if two vendor have the same thing and the same price

I'll buy based on the customer service I'm given
I do also try and buy from site sponsors as their funding helps make this site possible
+1 to all that he said. :word:

Quick Reply: Buy parts because of a sponsorship?