Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How well do you treat your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kanyonkid
man, u guys are missing out. I treat her amazing, however, if i see a huge mud puddle im definatley rompin thru it. If i get on a freeway onramp i make sure im pulling 1G around the corner, if i see a nice mountain uphill dirt road, im makin' it up it. If its raining, i go play. As long as u keep up the maintnance you can have fun for years.
+1...
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:39 PM

I take good care of my car maintanance wise but i do beat the heck out of it when i play around with it.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:52 PM

Haha very good info, I know when I get mine its gonna be the no food/drink/smoke rule. Anyone else enforce that rule among the passengers?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I park far away and at my high school I only park next to friends i know.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:19 PM

My wife claims I treat my Evo better than her..I'm sure that I'm not the only one to ever get that comment. I gotta admit, my Evo is extremely pampered, perhaps I do go a bit overboard sometimes. Through out the spring/summer I'd say she gets washed twice a week if not more. I dispise going anywhere in a dirty car, and my yellow always shows the road grime. I usually hand wash, then dry with microfiber cloth, then spray-detail. Most times I even clean under the hood...I know, I know it's a little much.

My Evo usually sits covered in my garage. As long as I been the owner, it's never been in or seen rain/snow; a feat I'm really actually proud of, even though I'm told they're awesome to play with in the snow. I mean, it's an 03 and only has 35k on it.

Regular oil changes every 5k mi. with either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple...and only 93 octane, usually from Sunoco.

I'm that guy who parks at the far end of any parking lot to avoid cart/door dings...and actually gets pissed when that jack-off just has to park right next to me. Lets face it, we've all been there at one point or another. I truely believe that people will purposely go out of their way to park their hooptie next to you. I actually get a sick feeling in my stomach when I have to park next to someone and insist that my wife check her side for any damage when she gets in..LOL!

I tend to get anxious when other people have to touch/drive it..i.e. inspection time. It always worries me slightly b/c lets face it, ppl don't give a **** b/c it's not their car. For example, I took the car to the Mitsu dealer for a recall once, just for a sticker to be put on the door jam, the tech pulled it into the garage and proceeded to rev my car up to the 2-step and let it blow off. I flipped out, can you blaim me? The guy's supposed to be a professional and treat your car as if it was his, right? Just goes to show that people don't really care if it's not their car.

I also seem to go out of my way not to hit potholes or bumps in the road...must look like a drunk driver to anyone who's behind me...lol

If I run it a bit hard, I'll let it sit and ilde for a minute or so to cool down. I had a turbo timer, but hated it, so I just do it the old fashoned way.

I know your sitting there thinking I'm a complete psychopath, but I love my car, it's like a family member. Did a tour in Iraq and one in Afghanistan just to get it where it is today, so that in itself makes me value it more.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

^ I would've smacked the crap out of that tech. I'm serious too. Only I get to play with my car like that because I make the damn payments!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
treat it better than i would my own child - small scratches and dings don't bother me but i make sure i take care of the motor and drivetrain
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I def treat my evo like a queen. During the winter it stays in the garage. I wash and detail it every 2 days. Im a car detailer so it has to stay clean all the time. On the street i rarely boost it only when im checking things out or just feel like it haha. Other then that it, it looks clean all the time and i enjoy it. When i go to the track thats when it gets the abuse
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:42 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If for some reason I ever have to take my car in to get something done to it (alignment is about the only thing I could fathom), I will set the rev limiter to 3K and turn the boost down to 13psi and see how much fun they have lol. It's funny the people always ask me where my car is when I bring in 4 wheels to get the tires mounted. They somehow even manage to scratch my rims putting tires on and they wonder why I don't bring my car in..... der.. I would expect no less than three stripped or cross threaded wheel studs.

Last edited by fre; Jan 28, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

I keep mine clean and preeettyy but drive it like its meant to be driven. Could be why Im replacing transfer cases clutches and trannies once a year.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Audi2Evo
I keep mine clean and preeettyy but drive it like its meant to be driven. Could be why Im replacing transfer cases clutches and trannies once a year.
Wow once a year?! I think you drive it too hard lol but if you can fund it then have fun. Ugh I can't wait to find mine.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Well, last 6 months I had to replace transfer case, then the clutch and now I have a bad 3rd gear. I launched the car maybe three or four times - thats it. Just hit 40k miles. I like to go through the gears as much as i can though, boost is too much fun.
Funny one of the reasons I got this car was for its reliability being japanese..boy was i wrong after my germans.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

I play hard when I want, but in moderation. =) I don't want huge repair bills. Only thing major I had to do so far was a clutch replacement at 62,000 miles, but thats regular wear and tear.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tchouko
+1...
run her hard but take good care of her and treat her like the queen she is.... just like my girlfriend... hahahahahahaha!!!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoAfterCollege
Hey guys, just as the title says, how well do you treat your evo?
I probably have one of the cleanest, best-maintained IXs in the country.

Do you park miles away from the store to avoid the cart dings....
...of course.

Does anyone do any thing crazy over-protective with their car? (kiss it goodnight? haha) etc. etc. I wanna know so when I get my evo I'll have some other users tips/tricks.

Quick Reply: How well do you treat your evo?