Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How well do you treat your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi2Evo
Well, last 6 months I had to replace transfer case, then the clutch and now I have a bad 3rd gear. I launched the car maybe three or four times - thats it. Just hit 40k miles. I like to go through the gears as much as i can though, boost is too much fun.
Funny one of the reasons I got this car was for its reliability being japanese..boy was i wrong after my germans.

Whoa
Makes me scared about getting an evo

I am gonna have to replace every year??
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
^ I would've smacked the crap out of that tech. I'm serious too. Only I get to play with my car like that because I make the damn payments!
I agree..I went to the manager and he told me that I must have been hearing things b/c their tech's were professionals. I told him either he gets my car out now, or I will...he went and got it. I don't even treat my car like that, and I make the payments!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by blas4
Whoa

I will admit, Mitsu didn't put much money or research into building a half-decent stock clutch for this platform, and it's almost like it's achilies heel if you will, but you shouldn't be relpacing parts that often, unless your buying cheaper aftermarket stuff...I dunno.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:32 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blas4
Whoa

You're in college, correct? You've had some course work in critical thinking, I assume. Why would you take something like this at its face value, without so much as an idea as to who you're talking to and his individual circumstances? A quick look at the poster's past threads shows him buying a used Evo a year ago with a blown transfer case. The car had ~20K on it at the time. Given its condition, it's safe to say that it was abused beyond the scope of reason.

Originally Posted by Alter Evo
I will admit, Mitsu didn't put much money or research into building a half-decent stock clutch for this platform...
What?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:35 AM

[quote=FJF;7936856]You're in college, correct? You've had some course work in critical thinking, I assume. Why would you take something like this at its face value, without so much as an idea as to who you're talking to and his individual circumstances? A quick look at the poster's past threads shows him buying a used Evo a year ago with a blown transfer case. The car had ~20K on it at the time. Given its condition, it's safe to say that it was abused beyond the scope of reason.

Agreed! I meant that Mitsu didn't build a good stock clutch for the Evo. It's almost as if they put all the time and research into other aspects of the car and forgot about the clutch...they just don't last, even if your not lauching it all the time.

Last edited by Alter Evo; Jan 29, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:48 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alter Evo
I meant that Mitsu didn't build a good stock clutch for the Evo. It's almost as if they put all the time and research into other aspects of the car and forgot about the clutch...they just don't last, even if your not lauching it all the time.
Folks have put a lot of miles on stock clutches. AWD isn't easy on clutches to begin with, and the additional torque from uncorking the motor doesn't make it any better. A lot of it is in the driver. Really. I hate spouting cliches, but few are as true. Mitsubishi designed the clutch to fail before the TC and the transmission, acting as a safety valve of sorts. It's not a bad thing. Those whose usage exceeds the safety barrier loose the stock clutch quickly, some as early as 1500-2000 miles. Other get 80,000 miles out of stock clutches on mildly modded cars.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
Folks have put a lot of miles on stock clutches. AWD isn't easy on clutches to begin with, and the additional torque from uncorking the motor doesn't make it any better. A lot of it is in the driver. Really. I hate spouting cliches, but few are as true. Mitsubishi designed the clutch to fail before the TC and the transmission, acting as a safety valve of sorts. It's not a bad thing. Those whose usage exceeds the safety barrier loose the stock clutch quickly, some as early as 1500-2000 miles. Other get 80,000 miles out of stock clutches on mildly modded cars.

Agreed
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bear in mind... with a drivetrain like the evo... if you launch from a standstill.. SOMETHING has to take that instantanious punishment as the load transfers from the engine through the transmission, xfer case, diffs, axles, hubs, wheels, tires, ground...If you look at that... the clutch may be the weak link, but from my experience talking with race engineers... I'd feel pretty safe saying it wasn't a design flaw, but simply part of the design.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I'm kind of in between. I park far not just to avoid dings as much as possible (some are unavoidable) but also because it's not worth the head ache of looking for a close spot. I garage her every night and keep an eye out for her if she's outside. But at the same time I want to enjoy her so I take her everywhere I can during the summer. She even did a 1200 mile drive to Houston where she was my daily before coming back to Chicago. I keep her clean and maintained but don't sweat the small stuff as long as shes safe, looking good, and remains fun we're both happy.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Exactly... I was writing my response as you were it appears.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

i just park carefully, and check often for leaks, and abnormal noises etc. i religiously change the fluids, and keep it nice and clean inside and out. scratches and dents happen, and its a car so im not too upset about it. i do this with all my cars, and it seems to work for me
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

If a spot is open and there isn't 2 pieces of **** on either side, then yeah i'll park there... I still try to estimate if their door could hit mine. I don't kiss a car goodnight... that's a little OCD... maybe even psychotic. When it's warm I wash it once every week... no more than 2 weeks go by that I don't. I keep several layers of sealant on it at all times. I check the oil regularly and all other fluids. I baby it when I drive it for the most part.. that sort of thing.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm **** about my car. I always make sure maintenance and fluid changes are up to date, I vacuum the interior weekly to keep it looking showroom new, I keep the exterior cleaned (spray-detailer between washes) and waxed regularly. I've also never gotten a door ding (knock on wood) because I always park away from other cars in parking lots. I got one ding from an acorn falling on my hood and I had it PDR's. I also had a clear bra put on as soon as I bought it.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I wash my car during the spring, summer and fall about 3-4 times per week. I don't drive it in the winter and never will again. It's a show car.

It's under a car cover right now and has been for the past 6 months.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I basically treat my car like Al bundy treats Peg.

Quick Reply: How well do you treat your evo?